PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has anyone brought a dog from overseas??

aliceinwonderland
02-21-2006, 10:34 AM
What's the quarantene situation, anyone know?
I am getting conflicting reports. The dog has his vaccines and a little passport thingie, but it's not in English, I don't think. He's flying on Austrian Airways if that makes a difference :)
Any help is greatly appreciated!

elliput
02-21-2006, 10:42 AM
I found this information on importation of dogs on the CDC website.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htm#dogs

HTH!

ShayleighCarsensMom
02-21-2006, 10:58 AM
My sister recently imported one from Taiwan and there was no quarantine at all..she went and picked it right up at the airport!
I think it varies from country to country.

rfeibelm
02-21-2006, 12:26 PM
As far as I know, there are no health requirements for dogs coming in to this country except maybe a health certificate. There is definitely no quarantine. Which is part of the reason we have so many animal disease in this country IMO.

Rachel

kozachka
02-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Our dog travelled to Europe and back with us few years ago. He needed an international health certificate with current vaccines. That's it. The airline might have extra requirements but I doubt it. US embassy in Austria should have information about travel guidelines for pets on their website. HTH!

newbelly2002
02-22-2006, 04:03 AM
As others have said, his international passport--provided it's updated--is all he (and you) should need. We have both brought our dog and cat to Europe to live (twice now) and brought them back as well. The only thing to check is that the weather is neitehr too cold nor too warm , the airlines will refuse to carry the pet if they think the conditions both in cargo and on the runway are too extreme in one way or the other.

And frankly, having "imported" our pets both ways, I much prefer the European standardized system where every country and animal has the same passport requirements to the Stateside version which is based on a state-state, vet to vet basis with little uniformity. I think it's a lot safer.
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02
And 2 sweet peas in an April pod

aliceinwonderland
02-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks Paula, I agree, and, good to "see" you!

Hope you are feeling great :)