PDA

View Full Version : Excessive drooling - UPDATE and need help

Mamma2004
02-21-2006, 02:43 PM
I posted last month about my 20 m.o. DS who was born 8 weeks prematurely and drools copiously all day long. I thank you again for your responses and wanted to post an interim update before asking your advice once again.

Our EI team visited last week and agreed that we/they should order an evaluation by their SLP. They noted that yes, DS tends to just let the drool pool and then pour out of his mouth. He does not carry his mouth fully open but definitely enough that he is not swallowing the saliva that he produces.

We do have an appointment with the SLP in March but I am feeling impatient and wonder whether I might be able to do anything to encourage swallowing even before then. I am certainly not seeking an overnight solution; I just know that every time we need an appointment it takes weeks for the initial evaluation and then a few more weeks for the first official visit.

Would any of you BTDT moms (or dads!) or any professionals in the field have any suggestions for me?

Thanks so much,
Stephanie

brittone2
02-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi Stephanie,
I've been thinking about you and your DS and wondering if you had the eval yet. I'm sorry that they are recommending SLP but they should be able to give you some tips on how to help him better.

I don't have any advice on the drooling but perhaps some of the SLPs on here will have some tips. I know there are certain types of tactile cues that can be used but since I don't know your DS and I don't know much about helping a problem like your son's, I have no idea on specifics.

I know the wait is very frustrating when you are anxious to get started. I'll be thinking of you and your DS. I hope that you'll see great improvements with EI.

Mamma2004
02-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Thank you for your support, Beth!

You're right, the wait is very frustrating; however, I am glad that we at least have the initial consultation with the SLP set up for next month.

In the meantime, I do hope others will chime in if there are any tactile cues that I might implement even before our meeting with the SLP. Sure, it's hard to need to change a drenched bib every 30 minutes but it's also hard to let him play with other children when his saliva ends up pouring onto all of their toys! :-) Yep, just trying to maintain a sense of humor while wondering how to help DS.

Thanks again,

Stephanie

jayali
02-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Stephanie,

No real advice for you. Just wanted to add a little support and say not to worry about the drool when other children are involved. Kids don't notice so I hope that you are not very anxious about it. Heck I would rather have drool then the bugger snots my DS feels the need to share with his powerful sneezes.

I will be thinking of you and hope that you do get some advice from the experts on the boards.

We have a niece who has been going for swallowing therapy for a few months and has done beautifully so I hope for the same for your son.

ralu
02-21-2006, 11:31 PM
I have the same problem with my son; I just searched the web for solutions and these are a few ideas that occupational therapists use to strengthen the lip muscles:

* have him drink thick liquids (e.g., applesauce, yogurt) out of a straw
* blow through straws and tubes; whistles and other blowing toys

They are mostly from the site otexchange.com
Hope this helps.

Raluca

Mamma2004
02-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks to Beth, Jeannine and Raluca for your thoughtful responses.

Raluca, I will check out that website ASAP to see what I can learn. DS uses a straw for water and milk but I hadn't even thought about yogurt which, coincidentally, he loves above all other foods. Maybe he will start having thick smoothies with me! Oddly he loves to blow, pretending to blow out candles or to cool his hot food. I'll try making it a more regular practice to see whether that helps.

I wish you and your DS luck and will let you know whether I learn any great tricks from the SLP next month.

Stephanie

SweetTooth
02-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Stephanie,
I just sent you a PM :)