PDA

View Full Version : OT-help me find a nice medical alert bracelet

mommyoftwo
02-21-2006, 10:21 PM
I have malignant hyperthermia (deadly allergy to general anesthesia) and need to get a medical alert bracelet. I always just made sure I listed it in my medical records and didn't think much of it. When I had my c-section, the anesthesiologist practically hyperventilated when he found out I didn't have one. Since he has a very good point that if I'm ever in an accident where I'm unconcious, no one will know about my allergy, I figured I better get one. So I would like to find one that's a little more stylish and attractive if there is such a thing. I don't wear much yellow gold, mostly white gold, platinum, silver etc. TIA!

Tondi G
02-21-2006, 11:11 PM
I have a mommy friend who makes jewelry and she made one of our friends a med alert bracelet cause she has diabetes! Check out her site... she will custom make anything you like I'd bet!

http://www.blacksheepdesignstore.com/

Good Luck... HTH's you!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

starrynight
02-21-2006, 11:14 PM
I would get a real medic alert brand one, they are recognized by emts and other professionals right away. They do have a few prettier ones if you don't like the basic stainless.

heidiann
02-22-2006, 12:07 AM
WOW how did you find out you had MH? I worked in an OR for years and we took classes on what to do if someone would get MH while on the table, thank goodness we never did.
I have a severe latex allergy and I don't have a braclet either I keep telling myself that I really need to get one but never do. I have seen a few at our local jewlery store that they engrave onsite, maybe you could check at a store near you.
I'm definately going to put that on my to do list.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

mommyoftwo
02-22-2006, 12:27 AM
It's really rare I know. Every time I'm asked about allergies at the hospital, doctor etc, I used to say I had MH. Half the people never knew what I was talking about so I started saying I was allergic to general anesthesia. Then they would assume I got nauseous, didn't like how it made me feel etc. So either way, I always have to explain what the heck I'm talking about. I found out because when I was about 18mo, I had surgery on my eyes to unblock my lacrimal (tear) ducts. I had a severe reaction, couldn't get my temp down etc. I don't know all the details because the anesthesiologist tried to cover his butt and only made a comment in passing in my medical records about an elevated temp. (I tried to get all the details a few years ago.) The surgeon was the one who told my parents and said he was certain I was going to die (after everything was over). My parents have a few more details but it's fuzzy because they aren't medical people and didn't know what questions to ask not to mention the fact that they were in shock about the whole thing. I ended up being in the hospital for almost a week while they did every test imaginable trying to figure out what happend and what was going on. This was in early 1979, so the anesthesiologist should have known about dantrolene (used to counteract the bad reaction). In talking to other doctors with the details we do have, they are shocked about the whole thing, certain I have MH, and surpised that it was handled so poorly. Anyway, this is totally not related to my original post but there's the story.

TonFirst
02-22-2006, 11:28 AM
I also agree that getting one from Medic Alert is the way to go - it's my understanding that there's a database in emergency rooms that allows the hospital toa ccess your information if you're in the Medic Alert system.

An aquaintance of mine also had a good suggestion - she has a medic alert bracelet for her autistic, nonverbal son, which assuaged her fear that if they were ever in an accident and she couldn't communicate, the paramedics and emergenco docs would know why her son wasn't communicating with them.

Sillygirl
02-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Teri - Way OT, but just wanted to say I really like your blog. You write very well and your son is adorable!

wagner36
02-22-2006, 11:45 AM
My mom has a bunch of them from Lauren's Hope - www. laurenshope.com. She's a teacher, so she has lots of fun bright ones. I think she originally saw the family's story on Oprah.

lvales
02-22-2006, 02:01 PM
After reading this post I decided to look around for medical ID bracelets - I've never had one but I really should as I'm allergic to penicillin.

I found a few sites that have nicer bracelets - they can get a little pricey, but if you have to look at it every day it should at least be something you like!

fiddledeeids.com
hahoriginals.com
n-styleid.com

CiderLogan
02-22-2006, 03:31 PM
James Avery (www.jamesavery.com) has a nice medical alert charm that you can put onto one of their charm bracelets.

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another GIRL due 5/29/06!

fmm72
02-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi Jessica-
I am a Nurse Anesthetist and wanted to give you some more info about MH. Have you had a muscle biopsy to determine if you truly do have MH? (It certainly sounds like you do) Maybe you have already done this- I couldn't tell from your posts. A definite diagnosis can only be made through a muscle biospy. Your chlidren have a 50% chance of being susceptible (as well as any blood relative)and should be considered MH susceptible and managed accordingly, unless proven otherwise (through a muscle biopsy). It should be noted that those who have had previous anesthetics without a problem cannot be certain they are not at risk; MH related deaths have occurred even though patients have undergone multiple prior uneventful surgeries. You should also register yourself at the North American MHAUS Registry- you can call them, the info is on their website. You can also order a bracelet through their website.
You can call 1-800-MH-HYPER or visit
www.mhaus.org
Hope this is helpful- please do this for you and your family's protection!
Fran

mommyoftwo
02-22-2006, 11:39 PM
pming you. thanks :)

fmm72
02-27-2006, 09:05 PM
pm'd you back- sorry just got back here!