PDA

View Full Version : Which watch should I get??

jamsmu
02-22-2006, 03:30 PM
My parents are buying me a watch for my b-day. I want something very casual--I don't expect it to last forever--so maybe a fun, trendy watch? Any suggestions??

pixelprincess
02-22-2006, 05:36 PM
I love my Skagen watch. I use it everyday so it works as a casual watch for me. And I am a pretty casual dresser.

nd93
02-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Another vote for Skagen. I have this one:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32322.jpg

JMS
02-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi Julie,
I have no idea what your personal style or parent's budget is, but I love some of the Michele Watch styles. www.michelewatches.com
Some are casual and some are dressy; some are expensive, and some not so bad. I love square watches and my favorite Michele is the Deco Chronograph. DH is a watch person so I have a pretty nice collection but don't wear any of them anymore because they all seem too bulky to wear when I'm home taking care of kids all day, IYKWIM.
Nordstroms carries Michele watches but there are other reputable stores (ie., in NYC) that will give substantial discounts, even for a phone order.
Have fun picking a b-day present!!

SpaceGal
02-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Not sure if you are the sporty active type, but I've always liked the Baby G's by Casio. They are colorful and fun, and I guess could be great for working out and what not. On that note, I think the Nike watches are cool too.

squimp
02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
I have one like this, but with a mother of pearl face. The mesh band is so light and comfortable that I often forget I'm wearing it.

jesseandgrace
02-22-2006, 07:44 PM
If you want something fun, trendy, casual, I agree with Skagen. They are not expensive, so you don't have to feel like you are married to it for life. I'm wearing one now!

tiapam
02-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Swatches are still around! I am wearing a very boring black one right now. I got it because my Swiss Army watch broke and it sounds like it will be an expensive PITA to get it fixed. I will never buy an expensive (which to me means over $100) watch again.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

ett
02-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Where are the Skagen watches sold? I'm also in the market for a new watch.

kellyotn
02-22-2006, 10:07 PM
I got mine in a department store (Nordstroms, Macy's... something like that). DH got his from Sharper Image. A friend got his from an eBay retailer.

bostonsmama
02-22-2006, 10:08 PM
I had a two-tone (gold and brushed silver) watch from Timex that I was in love with. It was ~$65 and lasted 4 years before Dh put it in the washing machine. It was timelessly beautiful for both casual, work and fancy nights out. I like a clear dial and a date feature, plus indiglo is so helpful in movie theaters or dark bedrooms. Here's a link (style 32157):
http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=048148321571

Fossil ladies watches are also so cute (I had, but lost, a pink-face metal banded Fossil watch and liked it a lot)...as are Anne Klein (at Dillards and Nordstroms). I've been eyeing the pink alligator print leather band with chrome and crystal-rimmed face. Most are $80-120. Trendy, feminine and pretty...and go casual to pretty formal. Not exactly this, but along similar lines:
http://tinyurl.com/h6pvh

In the end, I don't matter how expensive or cheap a watch is...it just has to keep time for the amount of time I own it. My aunt, a jeweler, notes that Rolex watches are the worst time pieces in the world when it comes to that...go figure. Tag Huer, Swiss, Citizen...not too shabby...but probably not what you're looking to spend.

Good luck!

Larissa

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.
~Elizabeth Stone

spanannie
02-23-2006, 01:05 AM
My husband is an online e-tailer of Swiss Watches, and has been doing it forever. What are you looking for? I can advise you on any brand.

My very favorite brand is Cartier, but those are pricier. There are some good brands, though, such as Zodiac, that will give you a great watch for a great price.

kozachka
02-23-2006, 04:06 AM
I am shopping for a watch as a gift for MIL's upcoming bday and this one looked cute http://tinyurl.com/gqc28, not sure if it's your style though. We've bought a Longines watch from the WorldofWatches.com before with no problems whatsoever. They also carry Skagen brand, you'd save 25% plus tax vs. retail. Here's one that I like: http://tinyurl.com/e8h6j

Personally, I like Swatch for a casual casual watch and something nicer for other occasions.

Mommy_Again
02-23-2006, 06:50 AM
I'll second the Michelle watches. They are in all the fashion mags now and really cute.

denna
02-24-2006, 05:33 AM
I am a fan of fossil watches. They have an exceptional warranty and a pretty great selection for a decent price. They have Fossil stores and are also sold at various retailers (Gottschalk's, Macy's, Marshall Field's, Robinson's May, etc). They also have a great selection and views at www.fossil.com.
I hope you find what you are looking for.

Good Luck

Denna