PDA

View Full Version : Gift for Grieving Acquaintance

kfk
02-22-2006, 04:03 PM
I just found out that one of the ladies that runs a local flower shop just lost her 56 year old husband to a massive heart attack at home last Thursday. My DH often stops by the shop, with our boys, on his stay-at-home days. The ladies (2 sisters) who run the shop love the boys, hold them, and often give them gifts. For example, they brought the boys personalized mouse ears from their trip to Disneyland a few months ago, and gave them really cute "Chanukah bears" for the holidays. (Note: they are not Jewish, and I think we inspired them to carry some Chanukah items at the store this past holiday season!) They also give DH the "cute boy discount" when he buys me flowers. I have occassionally baked them a little something, and we gave them a framed picture of the boys for Christmas.

Anyway, we'd like to do something for the lady who lost her DH, and clearly we can't do flowers. I'd like to do a little more than a card.

Any suggestions?

jamsmu
02-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Donation to a favorite charity or bake them a meal or give a credit at a local restaurant that delivers for those evenings that its just too hard to cook.

janeybwild
02-22-2006, 04:29 PM
A handwritten note is worth a million IMO. The addition of a donation to charity would be good with it. You can't go wrong with the AHA given the circumstances of his death. Its nice of you to think of her and to take the next step to let her know she is in your thoughts regardless of what you decide to go with.

bostonsmama
02-22-2006, 07:58 PM
We've been helping a family friend grieve from the death of her husband of 38 years, and the number one thing she looked forward to was cards. It touched her so deeply that people cared to send their well wishes and condolences. Plants are nice since they don't die like flowers...a plantable tree might also be nice since it will also live on after his death (I know you want to avoid flowers, but trees may be something she might appreciate in spite of her occupation).

We're also donating any money that was sent to Schizophrenia research (NIMH or SIRS, if they accept donations...there's another, but I can't remember it)....so like a PP, the AHA would be very touching, I'm sure. A red enamel ribbon pin from the AHA might also be nice.

Food gift certificates are so nice (Ruby Tuesday's Carside to Go), b/c although many people brought meals over, it was getting very frustrating for them after 2 weeks to have no choice in what they ate, and choosing to go out and get some comfort food was a nice step towards independent living again.

Larissa

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.
~Elizabeth Stone