PDA

View Full Version : Any runners out there? Need advice

janeybwild
02-22-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm training for an 8K run, but can't get past 2 miles in my training (outside running mainly). I swear its a mental block. Although the new and not-improved post-babies body is not helping :(. Any tips? Websites? TIA

Dcclerk
02-22-2006, 05:04 PM
I definitely don't consider myself a runner, but lately I have been running 4-5 miles a few times a week, so I'll try to suggest a couple things that have helped me.

-- Running with my DH. He is a much better runner than I, and naturally would go much farther and faster, so being with him helps motivate. Running with anyone a bit better than you could help, I would think.

-- Walk some hills with your double stroller filled up. I've got some pretty steep hills that I push the babes up. It is totally different than running, but has seemed to really increase the strength in my legs and my lung capacity because since I've incorporated that into my routine a couple times a week, I've really noticed a difference.

-- Push yourself just a little bit each time. For example, my husband always makes me go just one more block. It is such a small amount that it is totally do-able, and helps get you over the hurdle.

Good luck!

hcsl
02-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Interval training is a very good way to build up time, distance and endurance. It's also a very safe way to steadily improve your fitness.

s7714
02-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Updating with info...
Here are a couple links from my DH:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=84
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/index.shtml

He said the best thing to do was to Google for something along the lines of 8K run training schedule, but you might have better luck searching for 10K run schedules as the standard runs are usually 5K, 10K, half marathon and marathon. Once you find some sites with training schedules, figure out which one will work best with your day to day schedule.

Gradual endurance schedules are the norm. I know when he has trained for the LA marathon (26.2 miles), he usually does several short runs (6-10 miles each) throughout the week and then a really long run on the weekend. He gradually adds miles to his "short" runs over the period of several months until his weekend run is around 18-20 miles. (I'm sure the schedules will explain the process better though!) He only actually runs the full marathon length once prior to the real thing, but obviously it'd be too exhausting to run a full marathon length all the time! ;)

Oh, and I'm sure you're gonna love his initial comment. "So she can run 2 miles? Just tell her to double it and she'll almost be at 8K." Ugh! Thanks DH, now there's a helpful bit of advice (insert eye roll here) :P

Good luck!

My DH is a runner and has done marathon training the in the past. I know he knows of some websites that have training schedules and the like. I'll ask him for some links when he gets home tonight and post them for you.

Jennifer
Mommy to
DD 3/03
DD 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

jesseandgrace
02-22-2006, 05:41 PM
I would go out and go as far as you want to go, even if you have to walk some. For instance if you want to get up to 3 miles, pick a three mile route (you can do the mileage with your car) and then start running. Once you get half way you will have to get back, so you are stuck with that distance. Stop and walk a little bit if you need to, but then you will probably decide you just want to keep jogging. Keep up that route, and challenge yourself to jog a little more, maybe only 3 houses, or 2 blocks longer, whatever the distance, just a little more each time. Soon you will be up to three, and then four and five. For me it is mental as well, I go very slowly, but that's a different problem, but it has helped me to use a treadmill and challenge myself with the time. Good luck, it is great to have a race to get you going.

kimbe
02-22-2006, 06:01 PM
That is EXACTLY what I was going to suggest. Getting "stuck" is the best way to push yourself...gotta get back somehow. ITA about the treadmill too. There is something about seeing times and distances in front of you. Good Luck!

ellies mom
02-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Interval training is a great idea. You can use lamposts or driveways or whatever. You just pick up your speed for an interval and then slowdown for an interval(lampost to lamppost for example).

Another thing you can do is alternate your distances by day. For example, day one run 2 miles, day 2 run 2 1/2, day 3 run 2, day 4 run 2 1/2, day 5 run 3, day 6 run 2 1/2, etc. Also sometimes focusing on the time instead of the distance helps, as you get in better shape you will naturally increase your distance. Related to this is to have shorter faster runs on somedays and longer slower runs on others, so maybe run a "fast" 1 1/2 miles on one day and then a slower 3 mile on another.

What a great goal you have set for yourself. Good Luck!!!

alleyoop
02-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi! I am sort of a new runner, taking it up after my first child, and now I am totally hooked! I don't know if I have a ton of advice for you, as I have some injury problems of my own that are holding me back... but I have been where you are. Could it be that you are running too fast and burning yourself out in two miles? When I first started, I used a program that is based on time and heart rate only, instead of mileage. I was AMAZED at how slow they had me run/walking when I first started, but it worked! The program I used was this one: http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200205/200205shape_of_your_life.html
Admittedly, it is for men, but my hubby was doing it with good results, so I followed it too adjusting the strength training part to what I thought be more appropriate for me. I went from no running to running a 5K in 5-6 weeks. I think that there are books out there on heart rate training, too, if you want to know more.

My other advice is to get a runner's GPS. I got one last year and it is the BEST toy for people who run outside. I have the Garmin Forerunner 201 and love love love it! Now I know how fast I am going and for how long, instead of just guessing. You have to get used to it (kind of big), but it adds that bit of tech that I needed to keep daily runs fresh.

Good luck with your running. It has been a wonderful thing for me and I hope you can get over the hump and love it too.

MarisaSF
02-23-2006, 01:09 AM
I trained for my first marathon using the Jeff Galloway walk-run method. Something like run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute. Worked great for me for long or short runs! Aims to prevent muscle/joint injury (which I am prone to).

Galloway wrote this book "Marathon": http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0936070250/sr=8-4/qid=1140674563/ref=pd_bbs_4/002-8173097-2408829?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Here's his website: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

I also really enjoy John "The Penguin" Bingham's writing. http://www.waddleon.com/
His book "The Courage to Start" is really fun and inspiring: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0684854554/sr=8-1/qid=1140674845/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8173097-2408829?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Best of luck! Stay injury free!

janeybwild
02-24-2006, 09:14 AM
I really appreciate all of you responses and suggestions. It gives me hope that I can do this. Here's to injury free running!

janeybwild
02-24-2006, 09:15 AM
>Oh, and I'm sure you're gonna love his initial comment. "So
>she can run 2 miles? Just tell her to double it and she'll
>almost be at 8K."

Funny that, my DH said exactly the same thing, like doubling it is easy. Thanks for the links and the advice :)

Calmegja2
02-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Cool Running's Couch to 5K plan is the best ever.

I went from only running when someone was chasing me to running so easily that I still amaze myself.

Seriously, it's the bomb!!! :-)

shishamo
02-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi,

My tip for you is simple: run slowly. Slower than you can. Run slow enough that you can chat comfortably to a friend :-)

If you are doing 10min/mile, than go down to 12-13 min/mile. The goal is to run so slow that you feel like you can run for a looong time without exhausting yourself. I once ran a half-marthon with a friend who never ran more than 3 miles, and she finished the entire 13 miles because we went very slow.

After a while of doing this (a few weeks?), you naturally starts to run faster (and even longer). I swear by this when I was training for marathons!

tarahsolazy
02-24-2006, 12:59 PM
I was also a Galloway disciple when I was actively running. (Hope to start up again soon, too). By adding walking breaks into my running, I became injury-free, ran 3 marathons in 18mo, and improved my marathon time by over 30 minutes.