PDA

View Full Version : I'm Worried About DD - Need Advice...Please!

randomkid
02-22-2006, 06:40 PM
DD has been sick for a little over a week. Started as a mild cold, then over this past weekend, she developed a fever. Ped said upper respiratory infection(yellow junk draining down the back of her throat) with possible ear infection. DD wouldn't stay still while they looked in her ears and she had a lot of wax so they really couldn't see too well. She was doing ok, but wouldn't eat solids. I wasn't worried since she was drinking formula and water well. She started on Omnicef and has had liquid poops since last night - as well as screaming half the night! I called the ped and they took her off the Omnicef and ordered Amoxicillin. She had a fever for 2 days (highest 104.5!) and we've gotten past that, but now she isn't eating or drinking well at all and I'm concerned she will become dehydrated. I just bought some Liquilytes to see if she will take some, but she isn't wanting anything right now. I hate to start the new antibiotic, but I know I need to.

When they say "Is she having wet diapers?", how wet do they mean? She is having wet diapers, but far less often and less wet than normal.

Also, she will not let me put her down in her crib for anything! Lots of screaming and crying if I try. She has fallen asleep on the floor and then I can pick her up and put her in the crib. Except at night, when will only sleep in the bed with us after several hours of crying and screaming until she is exhausted.

Has anyone used probiotics for their DC? Any other words of advice or comfort?

TIA,

lilycat88
02-22-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm no help with the number of wet diapers thing. I never knew/know the answer to that myself.

But, it does sound like an ear infection. We've been through at least 14 rounds of antibiotics for ear infections so I know it sucks. Especially with Nutramigen. I don't know your DCs ear infection history but I'm surprised your ped started her on Omnicef first. The ped practice we go to always starts with amoxicillin then moves to augmentin and then omnicef. Anyway. Changing to amoxicillin won't necessarily help the liquid poops. In fact, Susanna did better with Omnicef than with Amoxicillin as far as poops go. The added bonus is that it's a once a day thing. Definitely start probiotics. It won't be a miracle cure for the poops but it will help stave off the yeasty diaper rash. You can get the refrigerated powder kind and just mix it with her bottle.

As far as the eating and drinking go, if she has a ton of drainage, it's likely that it is draining into her stomach and she isn't as hungry. Yeah, gross. As long as she is drinking something and you don't notice the really dramatic dehydration symptoms (no tears, dry mouth, sunken soft spot), I would feel ok as long as it doesn't go on for days.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

alkagift
02-22-2006, 08:13 PM
It does sound a bit like my experience with ear infections--DS didn't like the pressure that it caused from lying down. I would definitely go ahead and start the amoxicillin, then do whatever you can to work in the fluids--I used medicine droppers when I got desperate. I don't know how old your DD is, but perhaps that or popsicles would work. Popsicles are a winner here. The fact that she's having any wet diapers at all is a good sign.

Our ped recommended Culturelle as a probiotic to work with the antibiotics--dissolved in formula, EBM or yogurt it works great. It's a bit expensive, but completely worth it--we had no tummy upset as a result of any of the antibiotics.

I'm not familiar with Omnicef, but amoxicillin is really the first line of defense according to our Ped and is not as "strong" as some of the others, the way I understand it.

Hie thee to the pharmacy, get some Cuturelle and infant Tylenol if you don't have any, and don't worry! :)

Allison

randomkid
02-22-2006, 08:29 PM
I thought about popsicles, but didn't want all that sugar. I looked for the all fruit type bars, but couldn't find any without added sugar or, worse yet, sucralose/aspartame. I'll have to try another store.

I did add some probiotics to her water today and it has seemed to help a bit. Where do I find Cuturelle?

This is only her second ear infection. The first wasn't really confirmed for the same reasons as now. However, she is much worse this time and I never was convinced that the first time was really an ear infection. Neither is my ped as she was diagnosed at an after hours clinic. The reason they started with Omnicef is because it's once a day and, supposedly, less likely to cause diarrhea. However, when DD was about 3 or 4 months old, we had to use Amoxicillin and she didn't get diarrhea from it. She just started vomiting it up after about the 8th day, The ped wanted to try the Omnicef to see if she would tolerate it better - guess not!

The good news is that she did eat a little bit tonight, mostly just crackers and bread. I tried some other things, but not interested. I just left a bottle of formula out and she has been sipping on that, so she is taking in a little more.

Any suggestions on foods to try? I'd like to get something other than starches in her, but that's all she'll take right now. I know how yucky I feel if I only eat starchy food when I've been sick. I think she'd feel better with a little protein, but she won't eat anything else. I'm open to suggestion.

Is all this screaming normal? She is fine during the day, other than being fussy and clingy, but at night she sounds like she is in horrible pain.

lilycat88
02-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Susanna was always worse at night. Are you giving her anything for pain? Motrin? If she seems to be in pain (and mommies generally know that cry from others!), give her some motrin or tylenol.

As far as food goes, I sort of throw most of my "rules" about food out the window when she is sick. If sugary popscicles get some fluid in her then it's sugary popscicles. Banannas are always a hit around here during sick times. Not sure why. But, the added benefit is that they tend to thicken the poop a little. We weren't above giving some slightly salty snacks (saltine crackers, etc.) as well on a limited basis because the salt made her drink a ton of fluid.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

holliam
02-22-2006, 10:11 PM
You can make your own popsicles with just frozen fruit and water/EBM/formula/milk/whatever.

We are fairly anti-sugar here and we resorted to a fruit popsicle one day when she was having the awful ear infection and cold virus that we could just not shake. It totally made her day. LOL

January was the month of sickness around here!

Holli

barbarhow
02-22-2006, 10:19 PM
When my kids have ear infections I give them Motrin every 6 hours around the clock. I even give it to them at night. Most times I can get it into them without them even waking up, It is much better for the pain and last longer for fever than tylenol.
As long as she is taking liquids I would not worry about her eating solids until she is feeling better. Hang in there.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

chiqanita
02-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Hi Kim
So sorry your DD isn't feeling well. My DS wasn't feeling well just a few weeks ago...some type of stomach virus. Fever 103.5, vomiting, diarrhea, no appetite, only wanted to drink milk, and lots of screaming.

I used the Culturelle, found it at Walgreens (pharmacy) but had to ask the pharmacist. I tried to give DS yogurt mixed with applesauce or apple chunks but he wasn't eating much for several days. He only ate crackers (salt free), Cheerios, and bananas. I was so scared. Oh, and I had to use a syringe to squirt liquids into his mouth. I tried everything but he only wanted milk so doc said it was okay...just a little at a time with the culturelle.

I used a portable play corral (superyard XT) as a makeshift sleeping area. I put down lots of blankets and sheets and towels. I slept in there with him until he was well enough to sleep in his crib. He cried and screamed a lot, I'm guessing from a tummy ache.

We had just finished a round of Keflex and 4 days of Augmentin (didn't like) so doc didn't prescribe anything else.

Hang in there and be patient. I was told to follow the BRAT diet.

Good luck mama!

karolyp
02-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Hi Kim!

I'm so sorry to hear that your DD hasn't gotten any better. It sounds like you've gotten some good advice so far. But I just wanted to give you big (((hugs)))) and hope that this bug passes quickly.

Hang in there mama....it can only get better.

pinkmomagain
02-23-2006, 08:58 AM
It does sound like an ear infection.....I don't know why more peds don't do it but several years ago I had a ped who used to prescribe an ear ointment that was applied with drops in the ear to topically numb the pain. I don't know the name of it....and I seemed to be the only parent armed with it compared to everyone else I knew.....but it did temporarily help with the pain so the dc could sleep. You may want to ask about something like that.

HTH,

Gina

TaChapm
02-23-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm so sorry your little one is sick. It does sound like an ear infection.

DS always tolerated omnicef much better than the others. Augminten is the worst! We use the Baby's Jarro Dophilus refrigerated powder from Whole Foods. It has the specific strains for babies and our DS tolerated it much better than the regular ones.

As far as wet diapers go as long as she is having 3 a day she is fine. They may not be as wet but as long as they are wet she will be fine.

I always give Tylenol and Motrin for pain with an ear infection or cold. I know my head always hurts when I have a cold and I take Tylenol so I just assume that the boys heads are hurting as well if they are fussy. Before tubes our ped would always give us the ear numbing drops and that always seemed to help to put those in right before feeding. They always took a bottle much better.

Hang in there! I hope she feels better soon!

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! Baby #3 Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

Tondi G
02-23-2006, 04:58 PM
You might consider getting these ear drops! My friend suggested them to me and she swears by them... uses them if her son has an EI (said if relieves the pain well). I plan to buy them if my DS's get another EI!

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/81454/S/635691

Hope your little one is feeling better soon! We've had rounds of EI's here too.... Omnicef, Zithromax.... UUGH! Definetly get probiotics for her bottles (they really do help!)

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05