PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have info/feedback on Chantal cookware?

firsttimemommy
02-22-2006, 09:51 PM
I have a set of the royal blue serving bowls and dishes by Chantal - how is there enameled cookware? I saw some today at TJ Maxx in the royal blue and I'm all about matching !LOL.

Also, what is best to cook in this type of cookware (vs SS or cast iron or anodized)

I did order the Alton Brown Gear for your Kitchen book and am hoping there is guidance in there. I am in awe of all the cool cooking I had no clue about until recently, but I am overwhelmed too! I ordered it from an Amazon "marketplace" seller though and I think it is on the SLOW BOAT. I will never order like that again! It's been 10 days and it still says it could be up to March 7th before I get it!!!!! That would have been almost a month! Anyway, I digress..

So any opininons on the Chantal - or is Le Creuset the way to go for enameled ware?

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes........that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes."

zen_bliss
02-23-2006, 12:36 PM
i've been using chantal for several years as my daily cookware and am very happy with it. i am surprised it is not more popular. the enamel is very easy to care for, easier than stainless. with a little oil, it's comparable to nonstick without the risks of nonstick coating. even burnt on food comes off easily. it can go in the dishwasher. as a company, their warranty and support are outstanding.

i also have le creuset. they suit different cooking needs though the qualities and care of the enamel is comparable. it's worth having a variety of cookware. cast iron le creuset heats slowly and holds the heat and is ideal for slow even cooking. chantal heats very very quickly -- never preheat it empty. le creuset must be dried immediately after washing or you risk rust (which scrubs off, just use a little cooking oil to protect the exposed iron rims). chantal is still made in germany and assembled in texas. the stuff that shows up at marshalls/tjmaxx is an outstanding deal. also a great deal, the chantal website has a 10 piece set special on the website in your choice of color for $200.

bostonsmama
02-23-2006, 01:33 PM
I have two of the Chantal pieces from TJMaxx. I have a medium oval rimmed platter w/ handles on the ends and a square baker. The first thing I made in the oval was an herb-roasted whole chicken (5 lbs). It came out great. The second thing I made was a hot artichoke dip (it's low sides are perfect for dips) in the oven.

You can bake brownies, shepherd's pie, scalloped potatoes and more i the square baker. I don't think I'll do the brownies in the ceramic anymore, though, b/c they come out more dry/cakey than in glass. When greased, mashed potatoes come out golden and crispy on the edges...which I like. Great performance, great cleanability, and pretty to look at for the most part. Those prices can't be beat at Marshalls et al.

I don't have the LeCruset versions, but it seemed very similar for a higher price...and that's just silly to me. Plus, at TJ's, most if not all of the LeCruset pieces are seconds or imperfect...I've gotten some perfect Chantal pieces for the a lower price.

Larissa

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.
~Elizabeth Stone