PDA

View Full Version : Good Easter weekend destination near NJ; maybe Mystic? Newport, RI?

jennifer_r
02-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Historically, we would stay in Philly for that weekend but now that we have a baby and a toddler, we want someplace more "baby/toddler" friendly. Ideally, we'd like a villa/cottage or at least a place w/a kitchenette and someplace that we won't disturb other guests if our children are crying. We'd like some place that we can take a toddler to that she would enjoy and won't wreck the place. We're in Northcentral NJ and wouldn't want to drive more than a few hours away. Last year, we did the Berkshires which was great but now that DD is a toddler, I don't think it would work out as well. We were thinking of Mystic, CT - there's the aquarium and the port. What are people's thoughts about that place and recommendation about places to stay around there? other activities? Negatives regarding Mystic? Also, other destinations that I haven't though of?

Someone had suggested Newport? Is there stuff to do there w/a toddler? Is the town baby friendly?

BTW, once summer comes, we are going to go back to Philly for a couple of daytrips - can't wait until we take DD1 to the zoo and the Please Touch museum.

TIA

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

Marisa6826
02-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Mystic is really beautiful. It is a LONG ride, though. Much longer that I thought it would be.

It's an adorable little town and the aquarium is really nice. However, it's not really within walking distance of their 'downtown' area. I didn't find Mystic to really be very stroller friendly, either. It seemed that all the little stores and restaurants had steps up into the doorway.

On the plus side, there were a TON of hotels. I'm sure that some of them were probably suites with kitchenettes. There's also a kind of peddlers' market, but we didn't go, so I can't give you the scoop. ;)

Have you looked into the Great Wolf Lodge? It's in the Poconos and it's completely geared to families. I know that some of the rooms definitely have kitchens. I've not been there yet, but the website looks pretty nifty.

-m

ctmom
02-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Here is a thread from yesterday about spots close to NY. There are some great suggestions for kid friendly resorts.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=300458&mode=full&page=1

HTH!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

jennifer_r
02-23-2006, 01:17 PM
That's funny that you put that thread in here - I am actually one of the posters. Unfortunately, those kind of places wouldn't really work - most of those places are several hours away and I want a shorter drive than that. Good for a week but not as good for weekend for us. Also, I think we want a place where we can actually do some sightseeing. Thanks though.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

jennifer_r
02-23-2006, 01:20 PM
How long is the drive to Mystic?

I checked out the Great Wolf Lodge but do you think it's good for toddlers? I definitely want to go there when the little ones are in preschool - how much fun would that be especially in the winter?!?

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

LD92599
02-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Mystic is 3 hours from Paramus-area.

Laura
mom to William

LKibala @ optonline.net
[img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/

deenass
02-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Check out the Water's Edge in Westbrook, CT. It's not too far from Mystic and I beleive it has kitchenettes and outlet shopping!

Marisa6826
02-23-2006, 02:52 PM
I just looked at the site again, and can't really tell how toddler friendly it is. I honestly would just call and ask.

What about something out toward Hershey?

-m