PDA

View Full Version : Need help with gift/shipping reimbursement/online friend situation.

sbjf
02-23-2006, 10:11 AM
A friend of mine from another online community offered to send some baby clothes to whoever thought they could use them. I emailed her and wrote that I would love them and asked her to let me know how much the shipping came to so that I could send her a check for that. In her email back to me she never mentioned the shipping offer. I recieved a pretty large box of beautiful baby girl clothes from her recently with a handwritten note saying to pass on whatever I can't use, but no mention of the shipping charges. I just wrote out a thank you note to her and I'm stumped as to how to handle this now, do I include a 10-15 dollar check for shipping (estimated), or is that tacky? She is a classy mommy and I don't want to insult her by sending money, but I don't want to take advantage of her either.

What would you do??

BeachBaby
02-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Bonnie, instead of a check could you get her a $10-15 gift card to a bookstore or wherever and say it is a small token of your appreciation for sending the clothes?

ribbit1019
02-23-2006, 10:29 AM
I agree with Megan, send her a gift card with a nice thank you. She probably just wanted the clothes out of her house and wanted them to go to someone she knew and that could use them.

Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/fdihm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

Frogs are lucky, they eat what bugs them.

sbjf
02-23-2006, 10:33 AM
the shipping label has the shipping cost on there, $14.50. I am tempted now to just send the check for that amount instead of a gift card, though I like that idea, too. What do you think?

BeachBaby
02-23-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'm probably splitting hairs, but if there is any difference the GC may be seen more as a general thank you and the check may be seen more as reimbursement for the shipping. Does that make sense? Really, though, I'm sure she will appreciate either gesture!

Alys the Cat
02-23-2006, 10:53 AM
I would still send a gift card rather than a check. Since you offered to cover the shipping costs and she didn't respond, I think she doesn't want/expect to be reimbursed. She's a sweetie - and sending her the card would be an equally nice gesture on your part. :)

Metermaid
02-23-2006, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't send money. Can you send a gift basket or something small just to say "thanks"?

cbm
02-23-2006, 11:06 AM
I would send her an email saying that the box arrived, and that I would like to know how she wants to handle the shipping charges. I would thank her for the box, but I would send her a thank you note as well for the beautiful things she sent (perhaps focus on a particular item of clothing I really liked).

If no answer is forthcoming, I probably wouldn't worry about it.
It sounds like your friend wanted someone to have it and she truly wanted to gift it. If she is a close friend, you could send her a special gift at any other time of the year calling it a friendship gift.

C.

DS 12/18/04

kristenk
02-23-2006, 11:13 AM
I would send a gift card instead of a check. I sent some stuff to an online friend and did it because I wanted to. Granted, shipping didn't come close to $14.50 on my box. She sent me some clothes for DD that she knew I'd like as a thank you and that was wonderful. I think that a gift card would really be appreciated.

denna
02-24-2006, 05:27 AM
I wouldn't send a check either. Especially since you mentioned repaying shipping and she did not respond. I would send a gift card or maybe just a gift that you think she'd like. A gift basket w/ candles/food/books anything to show you appreciate her generosity. I am sure she would be happy w/ whatever you decide, she seems like a sweet friend.

HTH

~Denna~

Jen841
02-24-2006, 08:25 AM
I had a similar situation with someone, and it was ackward. In lieu of $ I have sent some random gifts for the family/child. They are not ones I would normally gift, but it is fun to do a one for you and one for me thing for someone else. I hope the random things are a day brightener for her.

Do you have some favorite family music... send a CD when a you get one?
Any good books you have read lately.... send it to her
Any fun kitchen gadget... buy 2