PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the childcare facilities in your gym?

jadamom
02-24-2006, 08:58 AM
I just signed up a the gym, and they offer free childcare. I'm wondering if I should try it out. Has it worked well for you? I'm afraid my little one will cry.

kozachka
02-24-2006, 09:13 AM
I tried using childcare facilities at the gym around the time DS was 11 months, than a month later and another month later. He would not have any of it. My attempts to leave him there even caused/provoked major seperation anxiety. I ended up cancelling my membership after 8-9 months because I had no hope it would get better any time soon and bought a nice jogger. Should have cancelled much earlier :(.

If I were to do it again, I'd start when DS were much younger. DS was very attached to me and we could not leave him with anybody unless he was asleep until just before he turned 2, so depending on your child's personality, you might have better luck.

schums
02-24-2006, 09:54 AM
We tried it right after we signed up for a few months, and DD would NOT have anything to do with it. She'd scream for the 15 minutes and then they'd call me to come get her. I recently tried it again and it's GREAT!! Both DC will just run right in with no problem and play until I come back.

I think it totally depends on your kid. If they're not having seperation anxiety (DD did almost from birth) and are fairly laid back (like my DS) it'll probably work. I'd definitely find out from the folks in the child center what their policies are on crying, cleanliness, etc. And ours would let you stay for a while to get the kids aclimated if necessary.

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

shannonG
02-24-2006, 09:58 AM
I didn't vote because I go when I can deal with the fact that ds screams the ENTIRE time I'm working out. It's a cute room with lots of toys, but he want's nothing to do with it. I think if I were to go daily then he would eventually get used to it. AT this point though, I go less because I hate to put him, the other kids and the babysitters through the torture of hearing him scream for 20-40 minutes!!!!!! How's that for motivation!

JBaxter
02-24-2006, 11:42 AM
I belong to the local Gold's gym and the child care area is fantastic. They have a tiny movie theater and a climbing thing ( like at fast food places). The ladies are really nice Nathan loves it.

mmaimp
02-24-2006, 11:50 AM
I didn't vote because I just tried this today. We joined the Y and I'm planning on working out and getting the boys into swim lessons. This morning was our first time and they were both fine. My oldest did not want to leave. I would see if they will give you a week to try it out and see if it works for you.

kath68
02-24-2006, 02:13 PM
I didn't reply because I don't quite know how to fit in my experience.

While on maternity leave I used it all the time. Charlie was so itty bitty that he didn't mind at all; he cried a couple of times, but it was no big deal to cope with. I thought it would still be useful when I went back to work, so I signed up for the really cheap pay in advance plan. Big mistake.

I never used it once I started back at work -- mostly because I had no time to go to the gym. But also, if I did go to the gym I wanted DS to be with DH, not *more* daycare -- after a full day of daycare, enough is enough. Same with weekends; I get so little time with him as it is.

I have used it a handful of times in the past year, but now I do it as a pay per use thing. As a toddler he enjoys it. The people are nice, they have tons of toys, videos, etc. But the supervision is far from a real daycare situation; they can be spread pretty thin.

I think it is a great idea for giving mommies a little personal time, though. You get a work-out in, kiddo gets to play in a different environment, meet new kids, etc. If your kid is the kind that is ok with a short separation, then go for it!

sidmand
02-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I don't go as much as I should, but for the most part DS likes it and it works well. I think it does depend on your child like some of the PPs said. But DS actually seems to do better in the gym childcare than other situations. And I couldn't beat the price, $1.50/hour (they just changed to $5/time or $20/month--still a pretty good deal.

DS has been going since he was about 4 weeks old I think. There are different people watching them during the week than on weekends (and nights) and the daytime women are great. The others ones are usually high school girls and the care does seem to vary. But he really likes looking at the other little kids and they seem to like playing with him. He mostly stayed in his stroller though up until now.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

jadamom
02-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks for your responses. I think I'll give it a try. :)