PDA

View Full Version : I feel like a bad mommy

Radosti
02-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Aaron is tired. He needs a nap. He refuses to nap. I tried holding him, rocking him, putting him in his crib with the mobile on. He cried and cried and cried. He has never fallen asleep by himself unswaddled, in his crib or co-sleeper (arm's reach) during the day. I thought, OK, since he's crying in my arms anyway because he's so tired, might as well let him cry in his crib. He cried for 30 minutes. I just put him in the co-sleeper with the white noise machine blasting and *fingers-crossed* I think he's asleep. I feel terrible, but he was crying any way I tried. I can't believe he's being quiet in there.

JacksMommy
02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
It is so easy to feel we are bad parents when our child is unhappy. But it sounds as though you are doing what you can - sometimes a child has gas or other pains we can't help, and sometimes he just needs to cry. He is too young at this age to expect that he will fall asleep by himself so don't see that as a failure of yours. If you needed to put him down for a while, even 30 minutes, that's ok. You need to take care of yourself, too!

Isn't it amazing when they all of a sudden just fall asleep!
Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

Alice523
02-24-2006, 03:18 PM
My son is 12 weeks old and he does that some days, too. It seems to be better now that we have covered our bedroom window with a quilt (on top of what was already there). Night sleep is a piece of cake, but the days are really hard. James will cry when I sit down to start rocking now, as if he knows I'm going to make him nap! It's the worst when you know they want to sleep but for some reason, they just can't do it.