PDA

View Full Version : Ending Co-sleeping with a 22 month old

KrisM
02-24-2006, 02:57 PM
We've tried numerous ways to get DS to sleep in his crib all night. He wakes up a few times usually. Occassionally, he'll go back to sleep in the crib, but most likely, he wants to move to our bed. DH and I are ready to be done with this. DS squirms enough that DH and I sleep in different beds now so one of us sleeps decently and the other is awake half the night with squirming DS. When the new baby comes, I'll have her/him in a cradle next to my bed and would rather not have DS there, too. We just don't have the room.

So, how do I go about getting him to sleep in his room? He's still in a crib, but does have a toddler bed that doesn't interest him in the least :).

Wife_and_mommy
02-24-2006, 04:09 PM
I think Rachel mentioned she kept a toddler bed in her room and transitioned her dd into it, then her own room. I suggested it to a friend my dd/ your ds's age and it's worked beautifully so far. Granted, she's not in her own room yet but progess has been made since she's not in mom/dad's bed anymore.

Hth.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

asha
02-24-2006, 04:46 PM
We transitioned DS at the same age. He is an active sleeper ;)

We just got him a new big boy bed (twin bed). We took him shopping for a new comforter set. We let him help us assemble the bed. WE have a very helpful neighbor in his seventies. He is very active, handy and helpful. He wanted to help DH assemble the bed. So, it was three men in the bedroom. DS loves this neighbor and calls him uncle. We all had fun with the whole project. Anyways, when the setup was complete, this "uncle" held DS and told him that he really wants DS to sleep in his bed, because we had all worked so hard on putting it together for him. Somehow, that affected DS a lot.

We also got a star themed bed set, put up some animal stickers on the walls, glow in the dark star and moon stickers on the ceiling. DS was really excited about the whole process and could not wait to use his bed.

He would tell us everyday that he will only sleep in the "Twinkle little star room" because Jim uncle told him to. Surprisingly he has actually followed it. He refuses to sleep anywhere else. Now it is starting to become a slight problem. If we go to a friend's place and are watching a movie or just having fun and hoping that he will sleep there so we can stay longer, DS will start moaning and groaning because he wants to go to his Twinkle little star room to sleep. He will not sleep anywhere else.

If you made it so far, here is the moral of the story. Get him excited about the whole process. Let him be a part of it and make him feel like it is a privilege, rather than a punishment for getting into your bed (there have been times when we might have said something to that effect :().

BTW, DS never slept in his crib, he hated it. So, we did not try to move him to the crib at all. I wanted to try moving him to a different bed in our room, but our room is too small for that.

KrisM
02-24-2006, 06:39 PM
I did let him pick out sheets and a blanket set for the toddler bed. He helped us put it together and now wants to take it apart :). He likes tools!

Your story is so cute.

KrisM
02-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Sounds good to me. I wouldn't care if he's in the room, but the bed is too crowded. Maybe tomorrow, we'll haul his toddler bed over to our room.

ETA: We moved the toddler bed in and he wanted nothing to do with it for a couple of weeks. Then, last Sunday, I told him that he could either go back to sleep in his crib, or sleep in his "big boy bed" in our room. He chose the bed and slept there the 2nd half of the night for 5 days. Last night and tonight, he started there and is doing okay. He wants us to stay in the room until he falls asleep, but we can work on that. It's a big improvement! Thanks.

Wife_and_mommy
03-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Oh, you're so welcome! I'm glad progress is being made. :)

I never had DD in bed(would sit up to nurse) but DS has been the complete opposite. Am already wondering how/when I'll get him in his crib. I can handle cosleeping as long as he doesn't move around.

Anyway, I'm so glad things are getting better for you. Congrats on the progress. :)

Elizabeth
mommy to DD('04) and DS('06)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]