PDA

View Full Version : OT: I need recommendations for a new cordless phone, please!

annasmom
02-24-2006, 03:12 PM
I bought a brand new Motorola cordless phone when we moved into our new house about 8 months ago. It never worked. You can hardly hear the other person on the line, and every once in a while there is this shrieking sound (really lovely). Whenever my dc are in the room, and one starts yelling or crying the shrieks get louder and louder. If that weren't reason enough to get a new phone, it now is not dialing. I push the button, but it doesn't register.

SO needless to say, I am buying a new phone this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone tried those packages of phones from Sam's/Costco -- the type where you don't need a phone jack with each headset?? I wouldn't be adverse to getting several headsets as our phone upstairs isn't that great either.

Thanks for any suggestions!

kellyotn
02-24-2006, 03:24 PM
We've been using a Panasonic cordless forever. Its been a trooper.

Upstairs we did buy one of those sets from Costco! It works fine. For the handset that's not actually plugged into the phone jack, it seems you do have to wait a sec after answering for the signal to get there and connect, but it works fine after that (no talking delay or anything). The plugged in phone is a floor below and half the length of the house away, so I'm pretty happy all in all. Its a Uniden brand. Plus, Costco has a great return policy of you aren't happy with how it works out for you.

I'd try returning the Motorola if you can. Sounds like a big lemon.

bostonsmama
02-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Ditto. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my Panasonic phones. They're sleek, attractive, feature-loaded, and reliable to the death. I got a 2.4GHz phone pair from Costco 2-ish years ago for under $80. It has Caller ID for incoming and call-waiting calls, speaker phone (invaluable for us), lit LCD, long battery life, an intercom feature between phones, a hold button, 35 # call log, multiple ring tones, a memory book and speed dial. My two phones also don't share a single line, so we can pick up both of them at the same time and use them both. I abhor multi-phone systems where you can't talk on both phones at the same time. Very irritating!!

Anyways, I LOVE Panasonic! My 2.4GHz Uniden downstairs (which used to be rated #1 by Consumer Reports) has feedback and crackling noises b/c of what I believe to be interference with our wireless router, which is on the same wavelength, and changing channels hasn't helped. My Panasonic phones DO NOT have this problem at all....which is simply amazing, but still I'd recommend upgrading to the 5.7GHz (or whatever the decimal point is...5 something), b/c it's newer technology, esp if you have wireless interenet.

Best Buy and Costco seem to have great deals on Panasonic cordless phone systems. My mom got an open box Panasonic (2.4GHz) from Best Buy for $37.00 and it has also been bulletproof. Can't recommend them enough.

Larissa

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.
~Elizabeth Stone

kristenk
02-24-2006, 03:56 PM
We have a Panasonic that we love! Our model is KX-TG5422. We had phone quality problems with our last phone, but haven't had any issues with this one. Actually, it came in a set with 2 hand sets. My absolutely favorite thing about this phone compared to our previous cordless phones is actually fairly minor. It has a battery life indicator and the battery icon will start flashing when it's time to recharge it! Yes, I know it's a little thing, but we had so many problems with our previous phones not being as charged as we though they were. We've had the Panasonic phones for a couple of months now and we're still thrilled with them!

mama2galpals
02-24-2006, 04:13 PM
i recently got a uniden set for $100 for four of them at costco. they are working great. they're just the 2.4 ghz
rita
mommy to
olivia '97
stella '00
emma '03

the truth may hurt your feelings, but lies will break your heart.

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

Twins2000
02-24-2006, 04:16 PM
I completely agree. We had problems with all (V-tech, Panasonic, Uniden, etc.) 2.4 GHz phones b/c of our wireless router. We upgraded to a 5.8 GHz V-tech (ip 5850, from Costco, I think) and haven't had any troubles at all. Also we can talk on both handsets at the same time too.

So, if you have a wireless router or would ever get one, I would only go with a 5.8 GHz phone. Good luck!

Leslie

inmypjs
02-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Another vote for Panasonic! We received a 5.8 GHz cordless answering system for Christmas, and I love it! It also has one extra handset. The clarity of sound is excellent. My parents and brother have the same thing and they have had no problems with it after 2-3 years of use.

Prior to the Panasonic we had an AT&T cordless answering system and after 1 year, the #5 button stopped working on one handset and the #3 stopped working on the other. Before we got the new one I used to check the phone number I was going to call for 3s and 5s and go to the appopriate phone... How crazy is that! Good thing I had my cell for phone numbers with both, and good thing Christmas was coming!

Good luck shopping.

DebbieJ
02-24-2006, 05:45 PM
What you describe was the same thing that happened to us when we got a wireless router.

We upgraded to a 5.whatever ghz Panasonic and it rocks!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

bunnisa
02-24-2006, 05:49 PM
We have a Uniden 2.4 gig phone from Costco. It has 3 bases/handsets (one of which is the answering machine), and it's been great! It also came with a headset, so I can talk while I fold laundry (I really don't like to fold laundry, so this is great for me!)

FWIW, we haven't had any interference issues with our wireless router.

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres