PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a terriffic TNT marinara sauce recipe?

Dyonia
02-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Help! I'm making a monster batch of marinara sauce tomorrow (probably 10ish quarts), and just decided that winging it (like I usually do) takes too darn long to get just right.

I usually start with a #10 can of tomato puree, a #10 can of diced tomatoes, caramelized onions, minced garlic, parsley, and wee bit of sugar to cut the acid. Tweak as desired....and tweak and tweak! The last couple times I've done this the results have been good, just not consistent. I *think* I've got the ingredients right, but the problem is getting the proportions correct so that I can achieve repeatable results.

So I need a great recipe and I'm here, asking the ladies of the BBB, whom I am firmly convinced know everything :) I've been eyeballing a couple recipes online, but it just isn't the same as knowing that the recipe is tried-n-true.

If you've got a great recipe, please share it! I can always scale the recipe up to suit my ingredient quantity.

Many thanks,
Donna

urquie
02-25-2006, 03:38 AM
i just started looking for the same thing for a dinner party next weekend!

i've never tried this one but it has great reviews and looks very easy...

http://pasta.allrecipes.com/az/BestMarinaraSauceYet.asp

Best Marinara Sauce Yet
Submitted by: Jackie
"This is a very easy homemade red sauce, and the only one my 5 year old daughter will eat! Serve with your favorite pasta."

Avg. Member Rating:
• 292 Ratings
• 232 Reviews

Original recipe yield: 4 cups.
Prep Time:15 MinutesCook Time:30 MinutesReady In:45 MinutesServings:8 (change)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

INGREDIENTS:
2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup white wine

-------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a food processor place Italian tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped parsley, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.

2. In a large skillet over medium heat saute the finely chopped onion in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the blended tomato sauce and white wine.

3. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Jo..
02-25-2006, 06:12 AM
This is our favorite marinara recipe and we use it all the time..it's super easy too! It is from "America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated"

Simple Tomato Sauce with Basil and Garlic

2 medium cloves garlic , minced or put through garlic press
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
Table salt and ground black pepper

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat garlic and oil together over medium-high heat until garlic starts to sizzle. Stir in tomatoes, basil, oregano, sugar, a pinch of salt, and a couple of grinds of pepper; bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer until sauce thickens a bit and flavors meld, 10 to 12 minutes. Taste sauce, adjusting salt if necessary.

ctmom
02-25-2006, 08:50 AM
this is a great recipe from Rachel Ray
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_23870,00.html

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03