PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Littermaid for their cats?

icunurse
02-25-2006, 10:40 AM
We've just had about enough of cleaning the litter box for our 2 cats. We have their box in an out-of-the-way location to keep it away from DS and not have visitors have to look at it, but it's also in a spot where we don't see it every day and tend to forget to clean it. Has anyone used the Littermaid automatic cleaning litter box? Are you happy with it? Is it loud?
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

mudder17
02-25-2006, 10:46 AM
We used it for a short while and really hated it. The claws kept getting clogged with litter and one of our cats liked to pee outward, so it was always a nice mess. :(

Anyway, we got the litter-robot instead and LOVE it. We've been using it for over a year: http://litter-robot.com/default.aspx?ac=1

It's definitely more expensive than the littermaid, but in our experience and opinion, it is far superior.

HTH!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

kristenk
02-25-2006, 11:28 AM
We have a Littermaid and it works okay for us. Actually, we've had it for about 5 years now. Along the way, we've been tempted to chunk the whole thing out the window a couple of times, but we stuck with it and it definitely beats digging in the litter ourselves! The problems we had related to "stuff" getting stuck in the claws and some stuff sticking to the bottom of the pan. I've read that if you spray PAM or some silicone spray on the pan, that can solve the litter sticking problem. I really didn't want to use the silicone spray so we tried PAM a couple of times and it seemed to help a little but not enough to make it part of the litter changing routine.

I've been really tempted by the Litter Robot, but price was a stumbling block. Now that we've gotten 5 years' use out of the Littermaid, though, we've definitely got our money's worth and switching to the Robot side might be possible!

ETA: I've been reading the negative reviews about the Littermaid and think that the reason we're somewhat happy with it is its location. It's located in an alcove in our laundry area (aka utility closet). It basically occupies the entire corner and I made a "privacy curtain" out of canvas that blocks the Littermaid from view completely unless you actually look over the curtain. Yes, we have problems with litter strewn about the general area, but it's sort of blocked off from the laundry room and definitely contained in the laundry room. We also have a kitty door in the laundry room door and that door is always closed. Anyway, all that to say, if you have the perfect space for it, the Littermaid can work reasonably well, but the Robot would be really cool!

Marisa6826
02-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Had it and hated it. Yes, it's loud and the 'rake' was forever getting clogged with muddy wet litter. I'd have to regularly scrape it down with a, um, designated spatula.

The cat also tended to track litter everywhere (even with the carpet ramp) - not to mention kick it out, as even though we had the larger one, the usable space isn't that big. The little litter 'buckets' were also a total PITA. The lids NEVER fit correctly.

I know that there are several people here that swear by the Litter Robot. It's way more expensive and totally an 'investment', but it seems to be a good alternative. It figures, though, that it looks like something straight out of the Jetsons. ;)

-m

heytootsy
02-25-2006, 02:45 PM
We also have the litter robot (after returning the littermaid-hated it) Love the robot, I highly recommend it. Virtually no mess at all, and you don't have to change as much, never smells.

kboyle
02-25-2006, 06:41 PM
I figured I'd check this post out since I too hate "scooping" and our box is also in an out of the way spot. Everyone has swayed my Littermaid need, so I checked out the Litter-Robot...wow, is all I can say. Yes, it does look neat, but $329!!!! Although they do have a payment plan. :)

I am just in shock that a litter box can be that pricey!!! I know it's more than that, but I thought the Littermaid was pushing it, DH would probably make me pi$$ in the Litter-Robot for that price! LOL

Although, find me in 5 years when Im totally done with scooping and wishing I bought the Robot years ago before inflation hit the Robot market. Oh, nevermind, the kids will be old enough then that they can do it! Ahhhh...the joy of parenthood!

mudder17
02-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Well, cleaning out the litter box is DH's job and he was always looking for an easier way. This litter-robot, as designed by an engineer, will appeal to anyone who likes gadgets. :) Let's just say I sent him the link and suggested that we might want to try it since it was a 30 day money back guarantee. It was not a difficult sell. And no, we did not return it. In fact, we got one for my sister and BIL as a wedding gift.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

pritchettzoo
02-26-2006, 09:32 AM
We had it probably 7 years ago, and that was when my male cat decided to start peeing on things other than the litter box. Even my female cat, the most laid-back, low maintenance girl on earth, hated it. She peed on the couch while we were watching to express her displeasure with it.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

samsonsmom
02-26-2006, 09:56 AM
We had a littermaid for awhile and I thought it was disgusting. I used the Pam tip and I think it helped a little, but I still occasionally had to go after that rake with a toothpick or something...not fun. I also didn't like the expense of having to replace the little receptacle that all the gunk goes into. I did tend to reuse each one several times, but still. All in all, it seemed like I had to mess with stuff almost as much as when I was doing the old fashioned scooping.

The solution for us was to just grit our teeth and make it part of the daily routine. Before I got pg, I would go scoop the litter every day after doing my morning bathroom "business." Later, DH graciously took over. He does it every day after walking the dog, before washing his hands.

While we're on the topic, I want to add a plug for Scoop Away Fresh Scent litter. It's one of the cheaper ones (you can get a huge bucket at Costco or BJs for $9 or so), and the odor control is incredible. Recently we have had a shortage of plastic grocery bags to scoop the gunk into (our form of recycling), so we have been using one bag for quite a few days at a time, maybe even a couple of weeks, and just adding to it every time we scoop. I know it's disgusting...but at least it's in the garage and we don't have to look at it. But even with a bag full of week-old urine clumps, we don't smell it---even when the bag is open. Amazing. Also, the instructions for Scoop Away say that you can go a whole month between changing the litter, and we have found this to be true. We actually usually go even more than a month without any problems. I'm sure I'll now be getting a visit from the kitty litter police. :)

Another tip is to put the entire litter box (before filling it with litter) into one of those heavy duty contractor garbage bags. Then you can dump the litter into the box on top of the plastic (kind of hard to describe without a visual aid), and this makes changing the litter a lot easier. When changing time comes, just turn the whole bag inside out so the litter is inside, and pull the box out.

cmdunn1972
02-27-2006, 12:09 AM
We had two, and we had to return both of them because the motor kept quitting on us. Also, those plastic bins that it dumps the clumps into are rather expensive. It is nice to have a litterbox that requires less maintenance though. I sort of miss not having to clean it so much since we use a low-tech litterbox now.