PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is Tracfone the only pre-paid plan that allows roaming??

aliceinwonderland
02-25-2006, 12:13 PM
I did do a search, and came across a suggestion for Tracfone. We would need roaming as we travel a fair amount on weekends, etc. Is this the best we can do as far as pre-paid is concerned? And do I just buy any phone to go with this?

I was all set on Tmobile prepaid, till I did a search here. Many thanks!

kozachka
02-25-2006, 02:30 PM
There is more than one. Somebody else posted these two sites earlier, check them out for comparison of various plans:

http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.htm and

http://prepaiduswireless.com

I like Beyond Wireless based on the analysis at both of these sites but have no first hand experience with them yet. You can have a CA or FL number and live in another state and not roam as long as you are on the former AT&T network. HTH!

KrisM
02-25-2006, 04:05 PM
The links the PP posted are what I used to decide. I am with Tracfone now. I also picked it because having a 1 year renewal was important to me. I had no problem with having phone usage from Detroit to Boston, via Canada, with Tracfone.

You have to buy a phone setup for Tracfone for it to work right. I got mine at Radio Shack. Target, Meijer, Walmart, and lots of other places carry Tracfone, or you can order from their website.

cilantromapuche
02-25-2006, 05:21 PM
I just got a beyond wireless based on those charts, when it was posted a while ago. I love it! Then I went to get a second one last week and they have changed the program. I don't understand what it changed to or why it is a bit more expensive, but still a good company IMO.

Christine

american_mama
02-25-2006, 05:40 PM
My DH got us prepaid cards for our Samsung cell phones through www.cheapphonecards.com, and we just used them successfully last week calling from California to Virginia. Is that roaming? I know nothing about this. I believe the cost is 10 cents a minute no matter where you are, more if you use internet or voicemail or directory assistance. We got the phones themselves in December from Staples for free when they were having a 100% rebate program. I have done zilch research on this, but it seems like it would be hard to beat the deal we got.