PDA

View Full Version : Teflon-free bakeware

cara1
02-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Is silicon a good alternative? I've been using teflon muffin and mini-muffin pans. I don't like using paper to line it. Can I use those silicon things? Is there a brand that's good? I've never seen the mini muffin size. TIA.

miki
02-26-2006, 04:58 PM
I can't address food safety but I have heard that in many instances, silicone does not release cleanly. You may end up having to prep the interior surface in a silicone pan with flour/butter just as you would a regular metal surface. But I've heard good things about stoneware from people who have gotten away from Teflon.

pritchettzoo
02-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Silicon also doesn't brown very well in my experience. You can get a non-Teflon pan and spray it with something like Baker's Joy (cooking spray plus flour) and it will release cleanly.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

DebbieJ
02-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Big stoneware fan here!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

daisymommy
02-26-2006, 10:03 PM
I am simply in LOVE with the Pampered Chef Stoneware I bought from Deb :) I bought the things I used most, like a rectangular stone to replace my cookie sheet, a round pizza stone, and a muffin pan/stone. I'm using them everyday! What I really love is that they were 95% non-stick from day one, and are getting more and more non-stick with each use. I love being Teflon free! :)

cara1
02-27-2006, 12:35 AM
Pampered Chef doesn't have mini-muffin pans. Can you sell me on the stoneware concept, though?

lynettefrancois
02-27-2006, 02:36 PM
You should probably make a separate post asking about stoneware- I'm sure you'll get lots of replies!! You season them before the first use (sort of like cast iron), then never use soap to clean. They give you a scraper, and I use a clean (designated for stones) dishbrush to clean my stoneware with hot water. You do have to run the oven a tiny bit hotter or longer, since the stone takes longer to heat than a metal pan, but it sure is hard to burn things on a stone! :D Everything seems to brown SO much more evenly (yes, I have tested cookies side by side with stones vs metal pans). I haven't been able to get a pizza crust to crisp up on the bottom, but I'm sure there's a trick to that. Maybe preheat the stone? I don't bake that often, so I'd love hear what others have to say about them.