PDA

View Full Version : Working mom dilemma - Help! (Long)

alexsmommy
02-26-2006, 04:39 PM
I am a psychologist in private practice. I do not have my own office yet, but sublet in two locations. I work in an office in my hometown and an office that is 20 minutes away (no traffic) or 40 minutes away in traffic - which in Chicago is always present during our long rush hours. The office further away is in a suite with four other women, all in private practice, all of whom I like. It's in a great location, my associate/mentor who really helped me make the switch into private practice is there and can keep me full with clients if I just say the word. Currently I am there two days a week because she was able to help me fill my practice in my hometown one day per week. The plan was always to flip that around eventually, make my main office in my hometown and work at the office only one day a week to stay connected with my mentor (we are also forming a consulting business in perinatal issues), but to be five minutes from home the other two days I work. I am full for my one day locally, but don't have the volume of referrals to be full another full day - however, I haven't worked as hard at this as I should/could because between the two locations I am very full and very busy. I love my days close to home for convenience, and it's nice to know that if one of the kids really needs me I am able to get to them quickly. I would also like to have another child and it is feasible for me to come home and bf during lunch. Having said that, a suite member in the futher away office found out recently that she will most likely be relocating out of state in August. The office members really would like to assume her lease and take her office - there is 6 years left on the lease. If I don't, there is a real chance I will lose one of my subletting days as the person I sublet from is beginning to think she will want to go back to being in the office more frequently. Do I jump at the chance - something which I never thought would happen, these women are all pretty settled and plan on staying put, or do I take a chance on renting my own office here in my town? The only negative with the out of town office is the commute. Yet, as a mother, I wonder if I will regret not staying close to home? Just thinking of it saving 4 1/2 hours a week (commute time) makes me think I should risk the dip in income and work quickly to build my practice locally. Also, to add to the confusion, DH shocked me by saying he would support me building an office in the basement and working from home. Of course, we have to price it out, but he thinks it would be fine. I'm truly stimied, and unfortunately, only have a week or so to commit to the other office - otherwise they are going to advertise - and I think there is another subletter who might just go ahead and take it if I say no thanks. Opinions?
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

JacksMommy
02-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Hmm, well there are a lot of factors going on here. It sounds as though you'd really like to stay close to home and that you have a good probability of building your practice there if you work at it. Assuming that you don't feel too isolated being on your own (this is an issue for me), I'm not hearing that you have many reasons for wanting to take the other office except that it would be less risky. Always nice, but perhaps not taking the office will give you incentive to start building your practice before the person you are subletting from makes any firm decisions.

FWIW, my reading of your sitch may be partially influenced by the fact that I really wish I worked closer to home...

I'll be interested to hear what you decide!

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

kath68
02-27-2006, 07:53 PM
I am in a similar boat, although I am just at the stage of contemplating going out on my own. I am trying to figure out where would be the best place for an office to be located (vs. where daycare is, where clients would be, where home would be, etc), as we are in the process of finding a new home, too.

While I think this is a decision only you can make based on your own needs and risk tolerance, I can say this: all things being equal, closer to home is better. Commute time sucks, and if you can minimize it, then you are better off. Will your income flow be signficantly different if you forgo the distant office? If so, will it be a problem for your household during the time it takes you to build up your practice closer? How are your marketing/self-promotion skills? Do you like working in isolation, or do you need other people around you?

I am seriously contemplating a home office situation, but my worry is that I won't be able to separate my work self from my home self as well as I would like. The basement idea sounds great, so long as you are the type of person who can easily change hats and keep yourself on task. If you worry about that, maybe a closer office away from the house is the solution. Just ramblings here, but I definitely can appreciate how hard a choice this is.

lmintzer
02-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Alaina,
I saw your message and have wanted to post. We're going a bit crazy (basement project) right now, and today is Scott's b-day. I didn't want you to think I didn't notice!

I'd say stay near home if you can--sounds like it would feel more comfortable/secure re: the kids. I know you really like the people up north, though. It's so so tough not to have that support. I guess it's a question of how ready you are to be totally set free.

Sorry so short--I'll try to write more tomorrow.