PDA

View Full Version : Does your phone company charge you for incoming calls?

pixelprincess
02-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Dh and I share a Verizon plan and are usually within our minutes. Last month I was travelling away from home and used my phone more than I realized. I checked my call log to see that Verizon has charged me for incoming calls after going over my plan minutes. I guess plans vary but am wondering if this is the norm?

TIA

kijip
02-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Yes. This is the norm for cell phones. If it was not, people would just make 1 minute calls asking to be called back on their cell!

pixelprincess
02-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks, I feel like a dud. I am able to call my brother internationally on his cell without him incurring any charges...so I guess I thought the same applied.

hez
02-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Yup-- every plan I've had (AT&T, Cingular, Verizon) have all charged for incoming calls. We have 'In' with Verizon, now, and it's been the perfect solution to my issues with going over my minutes. My parents and best friends are 'In' too :)

SpaceGal
02-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah Verizon charges for incoming calls. And if it helps any for future reference, they also charge for calling your voicemail, I had thought that was calling "in-network" since you are technically calling yourself to check you messages but it's not. Just get everyone IN network then you are all set.

caheinz
02-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Every US plan works so that you pay for both incoming and outgoing calls.

Many foreign plans work differently -- eg, only paying for outgoing calls. But, those plans won't work here.

It's all what the market would bear as cells began to catch on. Obviously here, the market bore more charges....

DebbieJ
02-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Yep, we are all on IN here so it's all free!

And I just wanted to say HI CHERYL!!!!! Long time no see!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

kellyotn
02-27-2006, 12:15 AM
We're on Nextel (company phones) and incoming calls are free, but I'm not sure if they charge you for incoming IF you go over.... What Katie said makes sense though, so I'd bet they do too. Walkie-talkie calls from another Nextel phone are always free though.