PDA

View Full Version : Switching two year old to low-fat milk

mum1day
02-27-2006, 04:42 PM
My DD will turn two this week but won't have her 2 year appt until April because we are going to a new ped.

So, I need help!

Do I have to give her 2% milk now that we aren't doing whole milk? Or, can I give her 1%?

TIA!

ctmom
02-27-2006, 04:52 PM
we actually switched our dd to 1% at 18 months, with the peds approval. She gets fat from other sources and she was the only one in the house drinking whole, so our ped said give her whatever we drink.

HTH!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Tondi G
02-27-2006, 05:00 PM
If you drink 1% and she is eating yogurt and cheese (calcium/fat rich foods) then it should be fine to put her on 1%. How is she on the growth charts? If she is on the lower end they want to keep her on whole but if she is growing/gaining well then 1% is probably fine! My DS went on 2% at one year cause he ate really well otherwise and has always been at the top of the charts for height and weight his whole life! He is now 4.5 and drinking fat free milk!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

o_mom
02-27-2006, 05:01 PM
We switched to 2% at 2 yrs and plan on going to 1% sometime before 5yrs. DS1 is a peanut and has an otherwise lowfat diet (whole family does) so we didn't want to go too far with it. Our ped said 2% or less was fine and just plan to eventually get to 1% or skim.

mum1day
02-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Great!

Thanks for the information. My DD eats well, and is in the 100th percentile for height, yet only in the 45th percentile for weight, but this is genetics. I want to keep an eye on her cholesterol and fat intake because my husband has horribly high cholesterol in spite of our low-fat diet. I know his cholesterol levels are due to genetics and want to do what I can to instill a healthy lifestyle in my DC early in life, unlike my MIL.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help! I am relieved, especially after I went grocery shopping today and got lowfat yogurt and no whole milk for her! :)