PDA

View Full Version : United - Checking Stroller & Car Seats

nola
02-27-2006, 05:19 PM
I have come to understand that United will allow me to check my stroller and carseat, but they count it against my two bag allowance. (So, I could check them but then I couldn't check anything else without paying $$$.) Now maybe this is fair, but it comes as a shock since other major airlines allow it.
If I had been aware of this I think I would have choosen a different carrier. In my situation I will be okay. I think I will be able to work around this. But, I had counted on being about to check the stroller and two carseats at the curb and I am really disappointed.
Just thought others might want to know and I invite your input or comments.

nd93
02-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Did you buy a seat for your kids? If so, they get 2 checked bags as well.

JBaxter
02-27-2006, 05:53 PM
I send my carseat through as luggage ( they put it in a clear plastic bag) and check the stroller as I get on the plane. Are you getting seats for both children? If so that would be 6 items that can go through as luggage + 3 carry ons. I always need my stroller in the airport that is why I check it as I board the plane.
I though most carriers had the 2 luggage item 1 personal + 1 carryone rule but maybe I'm misstaken.

murpheyblue
02-27-2006, 05:59 PM
I always gate check my stroller and have never had anyone say it counts against your bag allowance. We always buy DD a seat so we take the carseat on and I've never been close to the bag limit since we have three seats so I'm hardly an expert.

kijip
02-27-2006, 06:40 PM
We gate check and it has never eaten up my bag allowance on United or other airlines. You will want the stroller to gfet to and from the gate anyways.

hez
02-27-2006, 07:25 PM
I've seen both carseats & strollers gate checked with no questions about how many items you've already checked. And, like the other posters have said, if you've had to buy a seat for one of the kiddos, that's two more items you can check-- just have to check them under that name.

Zansu
02-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Just take it all to the gate with you. :)

If there's room on the plane, they will make sure you get an empty seat next to you so your DC can use the carseat inflight. If there is not an empty seat, they will gate check it for you. (You may be able to request that it be sent to baggage claim at your final destination, rather than returned to you at the gate.)

Same with the stroller. They will gate check it and return it to you on the jetbridge or at the gate. I would NOT have them return it at baggage claim, as it will get damaged.

Oregonmother
02-27-2006, 10:14 PM
I always check my carseat with my luggage and they have never counted it in the two bag allowance. I then gate check the stroller and they never coun it in the two bag allowance either.

denna
02-28-2006, 02:47 AM
Im not sure which carrier you used...but when I checked w/ Northwest Airlines they said that the only stroller that they would check at the plane is an umbrella stroller. (not sure if thats what you meant)

nola
02-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Okay. I feel like the only crazy chic who curb checks everything. I even curb check the stroller because it is a nuisance to get through security and up the escalators. Baby rides in the backpack.

And if they will let me gatecheck it, why won't they let me curb check it? It's all in the same plane anyway.

And sure I have three tickets in total so that is 6 bags. But, my husband & I are each bringing a bag (*were* bringing, I should say), then we were going to bring another bag for the snorkling equip. 2 carseats, 1 stroller, 1 bag for the kids stuff, 1 portable crib (no longer, I will axe this item), another bag for camera/video/tripod/bubblewrap equip...

Whine, Whine, Whine. So, its true that, I need to work on my sense of humor about the whole thing, and I can get by if I adapt a little. I just would have choosen another carrier if I'd known.

wolverine2
02-28-2006, 12:33 PM
I have found also that "official' policy and what happens in reality are sometimes different. Northwest once told me that I couldn't bring a carseat on even if there was an empty seat next to me, but I brought it anyway and the flight attendants were fine with that. If you want to curb check everything, I would go ahead and try first, and if they try to make you pay for extra luggage, then you could always gate check it as a backup. I've flown United but have always gate checked the stroller and brought the car seat on board.

Carrie

JBaxter
02-28-2006, 01:38 PM
On my last united flight a lady was trying to gate check a fullsize stroller w/ infant seat attached and they were telling her only the stroller maybe thats what they were meaning?

o_mom
02-28-2006, 02:28 PM
I think the gatecheck items don't go in the system, so they have no idea how much other stuff you have checked. I would check four bags, the stroller and the portacrib and then gatecheck the carseats if you aren't able to use them on the plane. That leaves you with three carry-ons (camera bag, diaperbag and backpack) and you know that your carseats will be there when you get off.

I have never checked a carseat because I am paranoid they will lose or damage it and then I will have no way to get home from the airport. At least with gate-check you know it was put on your plane.