PDA

View Full Version : Disney magic kingdom for 16 month old??

mommy111
02-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Is 16 months too young to take a child to Disney World. After being cooped up and working crazy hours all winter I now have a chance to take DD to Disney. Do you think she's too young for it? I kind of thought she may enjoy even just wandering around there and seeing the characters and kids and the kiddy rides. What do you mammas think?
Also, any good deals that I should know about?
Thanks a zillion!

kimbe
02-28-2006, 07:42 AM
I think that she would be fine!! We are taking DD there in October and she will be 15 months then. We are just planning our trip a little differently. More food stops and more "going back to the room" time. We are also staying at a hotel where we can walk to Epcot and MGM and take the monorail to the Magic Kindom. DH and I don't really want to take DD on a bus without a carseat just yet.

I am sure that your DD would love the shows and she will be able to go on most of the rides.

For deals, the best place to find them is www.disboards.com. We just booked nights at Dolphin for a great price, but that was for October. Hopefully, you can find a deal for now!

I say go and have fun!!!

Let me know how it went if you go! I'd love some tips!

MelissaTC
02-28-2006, 08:22 AM
DS just took his third trip...and he is 3! We took him at around 16 months the first time and he just loved it!! Just take it slow. Plan breaks back to the hotel. Your little one will be able to ride many of the attractions. Enjoy!!!

JBaxter
02-28-2006, 08:33 AM
We just took Nathan 27months to Animal kingdom he REALLY like the animals. ( we also visited Seaworld which he loved too)

kransden
02-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Your dd will be as happy as you let her be. If you are willing to take lots of breaks, naps, and take it slow, she'll have a blast! The pool was a big hit for us too! I saw one woman with her dd strapped in a umbrella stroller at 10:30 pm shopping. The little girl was crying her eyes out she was so tired. I was horrifed. It was a good reminder to think about dd's needs first.

Have a great time!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

ribbit1019
02-28-2006, 09:34 AM
I think that 16 mos is o.k. too! We took DD at that age. Magic Kingdom and a very small amount of Epcot, just to eat really. She had a really good time at Sea World too.

It was very hot and humid when we went so we had to take our time, make lots of stops. She loved It's a Small World and wanted to go on it again, but we just didn't have time. We rode an amazing amount of rides considering how young she was. And they have parent swap available for the rides the little ones can't go on.

We didn't stay at a resort but close by with friends so we didn't have a napping option, but it worked out o.k. she was really tired by the end of the day. We took lots of her favorite snacks and she snoozed on us and in the stroller. Not good sleep but she did rest a little.

To do it again we would have skipped dinner in Italy. (But it was soo good!) But she was a champ for being out all day and only had a couple of fits that were short lived at the restaurant.
So I say go! Have a good time!

Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/fdihm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

Frogs are lucky, they eat what bugs them.

mommy111
02-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Kim, I'll definitely let you know how it went. We are planning on early April, so you'll hear back from me!

mommy111
02-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks so much for the encouragement!!!! Everyone at work tells me that 7 YEARS is the ideal time....its so good to hear from other mamas that have done it and whose DC have enjoyed it, because I really think DD will. She just loves going out and seeing a lot of people and loves the swings/slides etc at our local park, even in the frigid winter weather. And since we're going just for her, we definitely plan on 2-3 nap breaks in the day (nice for her and for me too, since I've been working crazy hours). No way are we going to drag her shopping at night. We'll just let her wander, take whatever rides she likes, and take it easy ourselves....it makes me feel good just to think about it :)

dowlinal
03-01-2006, 12:23 AM
We took Madeline at 18 months and she loved it. I have never seen her so excited. Every morning she would wake up and race to get ready because she wanted "more." She still talks about the trip and almost daily asked to look at her "mickey book" which is a scrapbook I made up for her of the trip.

I highly recommend the character meals. The characters come right to your table and it totally kept Madeline entertained all meal. The winnie the pooh one at the crystal palace was her favorite.

Another reason to go now is that kids under 3 are free at the parks and they eat for free at buffets. We are planning to go back this December before we have to start paying.

cooldudeb
03-01-2006, 06:59 AM
Try Downtown Disney instead. I have heard great things about it. Bettwr for younger tots.

kimbe
03-01-2006, 07:55 AM
Yay! I am glad that you are going!!! You are going to have such a great time! I will be jealously waiting to hear from you!!! ;)

kransden
03-01-2006, 09:25 AM
I agree that 6-7 is probably the ideal time for a child. If you were planning one big trip to DWD to last a lifetime then go when the kids are that age. You'll get the most bang for your buck. We took dd in Dec. We probably did about 30% of what there was to do, but I expected that and we were ok with it. Did we do the child swap? Not often because that meant dd had to stand in line for nothing. If you are going to enjoy the weather, don't forget raincoats, and spend time with your dd, you'll have a great time!

BTW under Thunder Mountain RR there is a small covered toddler play area! Great for rainy days and when you want to sit down!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

mommy111
03-01-2006, 11:35 PM
OOh, thanks for the thunder mountain tip.
Mostly we are just looking to spending some time with DD, enjoying the weather and taking a break. Even if she doesn't do any rides but likes seeing the characters and enjoys the other kids there, we will have had our money's worth.