PDA

View Full Version : Update: Measuring large for dates

KrisM
02-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Update: The ultrasound was yesterday and my fluid level was right where it is supposed to be, which is a big relief. The baby measured 29w6d and I was 29w0d, so that was within normal variation, too. I guess s/he is just in there weird and taking up more room than s/he should!

I had also talked to the OB about what a "big baby" measurement would do to my VBAC plans. Basically, they'd want to do more u/s's and monitor the weight (not happy about that), but would still let me VBAC.

I had a 28 week appointment today and measured 33-34 cm. At my 24.5 week appointment, I measured 25.5 cm, so it is a large increase this time. The OB had me schedule another appointment and an ultrasound for 2 weeks. At the u/s, she wants the amniotic fluid level checked as well as the baby's approximate size.

I've looked some stuff up on the fluid level and have no issues with having that measured.

My question is should I have the baby's size/weight measured? I know in general u/s is not very accurate at predicting weight. I don't want a "large baby" measurement to cause me to have additional u/s's just to check on size or something. Is there a valid reason for measuring weight?

Piglet
02-28-2006, 03:03 PM
I measured pretty large a few appintments in a row with DS2 around the same time as you, and he was born 8 lb 8 oz and 2 weeks overdue. I think he was turned around funny for those appointments and that caused the measurement to be off. I wouldn't worry too much about it since a lot of it changes week to week. I wouldn't object to another U/S just to rule out fluid issues, but don't let anyone convince you that you have a large baby just yet! Mine was pretty average and quite overdue!

Good luck,

annasmom
02-28-2006, 04:18 PM
I am not exactly sure that I understand your question correctly, but I will give it a try. Are you concerned with having an unnecessary u/s, or that your doc will think your baby is too big and want to induce you, or some other reason??

I don't remember exactly when it was in my pregnancy with my ds, but I too measured large at I "think" about the same time. I was going in for weekly non-stress tests when my doc noticed. My doc was not concerned about the size of the baby, but excess fluid can indicate other potential problems(I honestly don't remember). I had an u/s the day I first measured slightly large, and then again a week later. From what it sounds like, your doc just wants one u/s to measure both the fluid and height & weight right? I am pretty sure my doc checked the size of the baby at every u/s I had, and I had a ton for my ds. I think based on the size measurements, the u/s machine automatically estimates a weight, or maybe I just think it does because I always got an estimated weight?

SO, in a nut shell, I do not know whether there is a valid reason to measure weight other than to check to see if the baby is forming/growing correctly (with my ds I had monthly u/s, sometimes more often, to measure growth). But I do know the fluid measurement is very important (for both too much & too little).

tarahsolazy
02-28-2006, 04:19 PM
I think you've got a really good reason to have an ultrasound, Kris. Too much fluid can be something with a cause that needs taking care of, KWIM? They will measure the baby's size no matter what, but it is not particularly accurate for weight. The femur lengths, head circumference, etc, can still be OK (not great) for gestational age. They will be checking to see if they think your dates are off. Of course, they are not, but taking your word for it is usually out of the question, sadly. Usually its those very late (>34 week) ultrasounds that lead to that "large baby" thing. I'd be suspect of ANY weight estimate by ultrasound after 34 or so weeks.

KrisM
02-28-2006, 05:51 PM
I agree that I have a good reason for the u/s, due to the fluid level.

My concern is with checking the weight. I'm planning on a VBAC and don't want to get derailed because of a "large baby". I never got to the pushing stage with DS, so having a 10# baby might be very possible for me, you know?

She had me schedule the u/s for 2 weeks, so I'll be at 30 weeks. I am sure of my dates, as I was charting. And, probably a little TMI here, but we had just moved and with all the packing, etc., there wasn't a lot of things happening in the bedroom. On the day, I told DH it was the day, and we didn't even have a bed yet. So, being earlier is probably not the case :).

Thanks for your reply.

KrisM
02-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I guess I didn't word things well. I don't want an unecessary u/s, and I don't think this one would be unnecessary. I'm just conerned with going down a "big baby" path and having problems being allowed to VBAC and to go to 40 weeks, etc.

The way the scheduling worked out, I have an appointment with the OB the day before the u/s is scheduled (in 2 weeks), so maybe things will have leveled out on their own by then.

Thanks!

tarahsolazy
02-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, usually you can't really predict final fetal weight at 30 weeks. Babies are much more uniformly sized in the first and second trimesters. All the fat is put on in the third trimester, and the baby's own growth hormone system starts working, so his/her genetics contribute to the final birth size. Before 28-30 weeks, its more a function of the placenta, etc, so they shouldn't be able to detect an eventual 10 pounder at this point. If everything looks good at this ultrasound, don't get anymore before delivery, especially any to "check size".

IKWIM, though, I really want a VBAC, too, and my guy was 9lb 11oz. But I really believe that women can push out big babies, if they aren't forced to labor lying on their backs in bed and push on their backs.

KrisM
02-28-2006, 08:36 PM
DS was right behind at 9 lbs 6 oz. Plus, he had a 95th percentile head :). I believe I can do it and I never tried pushing with DS , so how can they tell me I can't?

Thanks for the additional info. It makes me feel a bit better about it.

brittone2
03-08-2006, 01:46 PM
That's great news!!! I hope you are feeling relieved!!

KrisM
03-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Very much so!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
03-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Great news, Kris!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

mudder17
03-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Yay! Thanks for the update! :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

Eloise36
03-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Great news!

Wife_and_mommy
03-09-2006, 08:19 AM
nak

that's great news. have to say, i'm so excited about this birth for you! :) I'm sure it'll go really well.

Elizabeth
mommy to DD('04) and DS('06)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

denna
03-09-2006, 09:19 AM
It's good to hear everything went well:). I hope it continues to go well for you, it sucks you have to keep getting u/s that you don't want. But if it's best for the baby then it's a good thing.

Best wishes and hang in there:)

Denna