PDA

View Full Version : need help?? is this request unreasonable?

cchavez
03-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Diego is going to be evaluated for our discrict's preschool program for children w/ disabilities next week. These classrooms do not include typically developing peers, all the students have some type of delay. Right now Diego attends a Mother's Day Out programs with wonderful teachers and all of his classmates serve at typical models. The director of the MDO program has told me she hopes that Diego can get the services he needs through our district plus continue to attend the MDO program. Right now, we (myself, district and early childhood intervention) think the best placement to meet his needs might be to attend the special education classroom 3 or 4 days a week and the MDO program 1 or 2 days a week. Right now Diego attends the MDO program 2 days a week but next Fall the 3 year olds start attending 3 days a week. More than likely Diego would not attend 3 days a week. So is it unreasonable to ask if they will prorate his tuition at the MDO program? How would you ask that? Thanks!

kathsmom
03-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Deleted - Off topic reply

cchavez
03-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Toni,

I am glad to hear that your DS is doing so well. I am very familiar with PPCD since I use to be a speech pathologist in a preschool special education classroom. Our students had a lot of exposure to typical peers but this was not in the district in which we reside. Diego is so borderline with his skills....he really needs the socialization with the typical peers. At least, we are all on the same page with wanting him to attend BOTH programs.
I just don't know how to tactfully ask if they would prorate his tuition?

kathsmom
03-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Christine,

What a small world! I am a speech pathologist as well (non-practicing). I worked with adult neuro rehab after grad school and loved it. All my skills with children have gone out the window. I really need to pull out some of my books and brush up on the development of speech!

Duh! I just read the last part of your message asking about the tuition reduction. Sorry about totally responding off topic! That's what happens when I try to read a message, type a response, and try to get Andrew to come out of DH's office so he can talk to headquarters!

Good luck with approaching them about the tuition reduction. I hope that they can work it out. I would explain the situation to the director and ask if there was any way that the tuition could be reduced. Is there not an option for 3 year olds to attend 2 days/week? My DD attended 3 year old preschool 2 days/week and the option was there for a 3 day/week class.

cchavez
03-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I really do think they will work with me. I just am nervous about asking.

Adult nuero rehab.....I bet that was interesting!!

kochh2
03-01-2006, 09:19 PM
any way you could ask for it to be part of the IEP?? If the school does not offer socialization with typical peers (mainstreaming or reverse mainstreaming, but your DS needs this to access his educational goals and objectives, maybe you could find a way to have the school district foot the bill?? Believe me, i have seem many familiies that have thigns like this paid for, i'm a pediatric School based PT, and nothing surprises me anymore!!

ginalc
03-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Christine,

This is a little off-topic, but I think you would benefit from the information .....

I would love to share with you the program I'm using with my children. It has helped them tremendously!

I use Dr. Amy Yasko's program for Neurological Inflammation with all 3 of my little ones. My 5 yo had severe speech and language delays, and now she is neurotypical. My 3 yo had many autistic characteristics, and now he is healed as well. I honestly cannot believe the changes in both of them! I'm using the program with my 15 yo even though she has never had problems -- and her moodswings are gone.

My 10 month has not been vaccinated and doesn't have the problems the other ones had at this age. I'm treating her as well. It's a program of vitamins and herbs that allow the body to function properly and heal itself from environmental toxins. When I started the program with my 2 targets, it was as if someone had turned the lights on in their little heads and lifted *the fog.* They continue to improve!

http://www.autismanswer.com/

I'd be happy to talk with you. Feel free to e-mail me.

Gina, mom to 4

cchavez
03-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks! I will look into this. :)

cchavez
03-02-2006, 08:59 AM
that is what i was thinking too

Elilly
03-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Gina,
I thought that was you on Yasko's site but I wasn't sure. We, too, have been doing Yasko's protocol and Graham is no longer diagnosed as autistic, just developmental delays. We are thrilled with her work.
Did you ever do the DAN! protocol or did you just use Yasko's
Erica

ginalc
03-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Just Yasko.

God Bless Her! I've been reading the Genetic Bypass book and can't believe how brilliant she is! Her analogies just make sense to me. I'm certain that my kids have CBS up-regulation issues, among others. Can't wait to get test results back! :o)

Glad to hear Graham is making such great progress, too. Did you attend the conference?

gina

kransden
03-02-2006, 02:10 PM
If you don't ask - you won't get!
Seriously though, can the MDO program put someone else in his slot if you don't use it? If the answer is yes, then pro-rating his tuition shouldn't be too much of an issue. If the answer is no, then I doubt they will do it. They still have to pay the teachers etc. whether you attend on any given day or not.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Elilly
03-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Gina,
Something has been "off" with Graham since birth. So, that, plus his elevated taurine and ammonia (from the urine AA) make me think that he has the CBS issues as well. We sent our genetics in at the end of Dec. When did you send yours?
I did not attend but plan on going to her next one. I didn't want to go w/o having the genetic testing complete.
Erica