PDA

View Full Version : ETA: Normal for ear infection?? Putting in ear drops, etc.

kristenk
03-02-2006, 04:18 PM
DD has an ear infection. :( She was perfectly fine this morning. We went to the park and she was running around there for a few minutes and then when I was pushing her on the swing, she put her hand sort of on-top-of-but-just-behind her ear and wanted to stop swinging. She said her hair hurt. Anyway, I picked her up and she put her head down on my shoulder and just wouldn't move it. She cried when I tried to move her over to my other shoulder (still with the same ear down). Long story short, she has the beginning of an ear infection.

I gave her some tylenol and that helped and started her on her course of antibiotics. The doctor gave us some ear drops for pain relief, but I can't get them in b/c she keeps lying on her bad ear. She doesn't want to take her head off of whoever's holding her. She's in good spirits and I think she'd be feeling pretty good if we could just get these drops in. Any ideas???

ETA: Are there any other ear pain-relieving things we can do to help? This is DD's second ear infection and she still felt like being up and moving with the other one. I don't mind lying on the couch with her all day, but I'm a little scared about how tonight will go...

Another ETA: I've read that one of the symptoms of ear infections is an unwillingness to lie flat. Right now, Ellie really prefers to be flat on her tummy. Is that normal? I guess I'm just worried about this b/c Ellie's 2yr well visit was on Tuesday and the doctor said her ears were fine. She doesn't have a problem with congestion or a cough. She had a cold, but that was a couple of weeks ago and the well visit was between when she had the cold and now. She cries when we try to adjust her position and it seems like the tylenol isn't getting rid of the pain completely. Is this all normal with an ear infection?

kimbe
03-02-2006, 06:29 PM
No tips on how to put drops in - yikes. For pain relief, you could warm up a blanket, towel or cloth diaper in the dryer or something and let her lay on that. (Since she is laying on that ear anyway.)

I hope that she feels better soon. Ear infections stink!

kristenk
03-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Kim, thanks for the suggestions. I have a stock of CPF that I can use so we'll see if it helps tomorrow.

Thankfully, she's sleeping in her crib now. She went to bed without any sort of struggle, which has me relieved but a little worried. She didn't nap much today, so I'm hoping that it was just because she was really tired. (She did say "tired" when we mentioned her bed, but I think my job is to worry about every single thing that I think is abnormal today...)

jamsmu
03-02-2006, 11:37 PM
DS had chronic ear infections. It was pretty often that he would be in one day and it'd be fine, and 2 days later he had an infection. I've actually never given him ear drops with an infection--seems kind of odd to me, to add more gunk in there, but he was always prescribed antibiotics. Rather than Tylenol, you may want to switch to Children's Motrin. A few days ago, someone posted a scientific study that showed that when you switch back and forth (Tylenol/Motrin) there is a stronger affect. I believe that back-lying is more painful than stomach, but I'm not sure, and it makes sense to lie on the side of the pained ear.

As far as giving drops--its really hard. After C's surgery, I always needed 2 people--one to hold him down and one to put the drops in. He fought it--a lot. We had to do it for about a month, so we made fun of the drop noise (that was what scared him) and talked about the bubbles he would hear in his ear. You can pretend to look in her ear and tell her you see Elmo (or a fave character) in there. Then tell her that Elmo is dirty and needs a bubble bath. Only she can give him the bubble bath, but she has to put her head down on your lap and lay still. The bubbles make a funny noise, but that's because Elmos is having so much fun splashing in there...

I wish I had more advice... sounds like she's self treating the pain by keeping her head elevated.

kristenk
03-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Julie, thanks for the response. I decided to alternate Tylenol and Motrin tomorrow. From what I've read, it sounds like you do one wait three hours then do the other one then wait three hours and do the first one... Please tell me if that's wrong. (It makes sense to me.)

We were able to get the drops in a couple of times, but I don't know if they really went in all the way. They're a combo numbing/pain reliever and really, really thick. Sort of strange and I don't know how much relief they're actually giving her. We'll see how tomorrow goes with the alternating Motrin/Tylenol. I'm thrilled that she's in good spirits and wanting to eat, etc., but it's sort of strange feeding her when she's basically reclining on top of me! Oh, well, whatever works.

jamsmu
03-03-2006, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure about the time for alternating meds, but what you wrote seems right to me, too. I'm certain some else will chime in if its not right. I can't tell you the number of times I didn't get drops all the way in! I always figured every tiny bit helps.

Hopefully when she wakes she'll already be feeling better. Thinking of you!

kochh2
03-03-2006, 10:40 AM
interesting that it happened while she was on the swing.. which gives a lot of vestibular input... and the PT in me says that since the vestibular apparatus is located in the inner ear, it is affected... that said, the head position is extremely related to this vestibular system, so while one child with an ear infection may prefer to lay flat on the good or bad ear, another may prfer to stay upright... or in other positions... it depends on the ear structure, type of infections, etc...

I have found that with DS, the garlic and mullein ear oil has helped not only clear up any ear infection, but also has helped keep them away!! Try warmign the drops before you put them in, test them first,i've been burned before!!! maybe do it when she is sleeping, or infront of a video?? Oddly, the only thing that works for most personal care activities for my 19month old is if i tell him i am looking for bugs, he LOVES bugs, and he lets me.. especially when i can show him some "bugs!!" hehe... it works for now, but iimagine it will become embarrasing if it starts becoming public!!! bugs??? ?????

Good luck!!

kristenk
03-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Julie, thanks for the thoughts! It means a lot! :)

I thought I'd update to this post and say that I found the Tylenol/Motrin dosing info on askdrsears.com and he said every 3 hours. That's what we went with and when she finally had the Motrin, Tylenol AND ear drops in her system, she decided that standing and walking were okay things to do! We spent all morning on the couch so I was amazed when she got up and went over to DH when he came home for lunch! A step in the right direction! :)

kristenk
03-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Holly, that's really interesting. It seems that she prefers lying down, but it's almost like she can get reasonably comfortable in any position, it's the shifts in position (from upright to prone, etc.) that really affect her. She's doing much better now and evidently the ear drops provide noticeable relief to her b/c she's fine with us putting them in. LOL about the bugs! That's really cute and I'll have to remember that!

As far as the garlic and mullein ear oil go, how often do you put them in to keep ear infections at bay?