PDA

View Full Version : What do you bring when you travel to a non-baby equipped place?

SpaceGal
03-03-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm so excited to be going back to NYC in a couple of weeks. I've gone back with my DH and son before but it was always a very short overnight stay and very out of the blue. This time it's planned and I'm going alone with DS and I'm so excited to finally have time to see my old friends. Here's the dilemma, I will be staying at my mom's or aunt's place. Neither have any baby things whatsoever.

My DS is a year old and he weighs 18 pounds and I can't carry him for long periods without feeling exhausted. Plus in NYC I won't have the convenience of my suburban life with a car and carefree lifestyle. I know in NYC I'll have to watch all my things, I'm not sure I can manage to Bjorn my son carry his diaper bag while on the subway. I also am not sure if I should bring a stroller...I think it will make it easier but also can be hard with getting on and off the subway. I'll admit I'm a wimp now and probably am more fearful of being able to handle a baby in the hustle and bustle of NYC.

ETA: I have two strollers a P3 and a Chicco Tuscany. I've travelled with the P3 but that was to another suburb if that makes sense. My DH suggested I just buy a stroller in NYC for use there...but I don't know I'm thinking of bringing the Chicco with me. I can't shoulder strap it, is that going to make a difference?

In the meantime, what do I bring for DS besides the obvious clothes, diapers and food. I just bought a booster chair should I bring it. I'm not sure how keen my mom will be about getting baby things for me...seeing as I don't visit her that often she usually comes up to visit us. But I plan to be on the go a lot for the time I'm there (3 days 2 nights).

Any advice for what do for those experienced. I'm also concerned about going to my mom's place sincce it's a mess and not baby safe AT ALL and plus the lack of baby gear. I know I can do without a crib playpen and exersaucers and stuff like that but what about highchairs and stuff. DS is quite mobile these days and hates being "restrained" by me. Any tips or suggestions as to what to do or bring.

Marisa6826
03-03-2006, 06:45 PM
What about just picking up a lightweight Maclaren Volo? They're light, have a carry strap and are better quality than just a crappy umbrella cheapy that will kill your back from being too low to the ground. I think they run about $100.

As far as what you "need", that's up to you. You can pick up a Me Too highchair (it attaches to a side of a table or breakfast bar and folds up pretty small). If you want to borrow a booster seat that has a little tray and safety straps, let me know. I can also lend you a pouch if the Bjorn isn't comfortable.

Do you have a dipe bag that converts to a backpack or messenger bag? If you're out and about, you really don't need stuff for more than a few hours - a couple dipes, a small pack of wipes, etc.

Concerning your Mother's apartment, is there a single room that she can make child friendly? Then all she would need to do is gate it off. You can get a cheapy but decent gate for around $30.

There's a Buy Buy Baby on 7th Ave/25th St. and a Babies R Us on Union Square. Albee Baby up on Amsterdam has good deals on '05 Mac strollers.

I'm about 30-40min from NYC, so let me know if you need anything.

-m

SpaceGal
03-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Marisa6826--

Aww thank you for your offer...you are very kind. I don't even know why I dread this so much. I guess I'm so used to my suburban life now that knowing I have to be more alert and capable in public kind of tires me out a bit. Not that it takes a lot but geez it's two different worlds.

I'm thinking about getting a lightwieght Volo now. My mom offered to get me a stroller, I was so happy to hear that but then she said "a cheap China-made stroller" for $40. When I asked her if it was any good, she told me what do you care as long as it works. I didn't even say anything because to her I'm just a "brand snob" and thinks I'm much to picky for my own good. But like you pointed out I don't want to be cursing the darn thing while I use it. I figured if I get a Volo or something like that I can have her resell it later since I would have used it for a handful of times.

I'll have to check out BRU and Buy Buy Baby. I've started checking craigslist and hopefully can have my mom at least go pick a good stroller up for me.

What I did figure is that I'll just feed DS in the stroller because I hope to have one with a harness. I'll just lay a receiving blanket down in case he gets it messy which is what probably will happen.

I asked my mom about her place...my aunt lives right around the block and currently is out of town so I know I can stay there and her place is clean and orderly. My mom's place is a wreck a total baby hazard. She's also a slob...she's clean...but a slob if that makes sense. There's never any place to sit or eat or a clear table if you know what I mean. When I told her she might have to tidy up if not we'll have to spend more time at my aunt's place she got mad. I didn't even want to bring up the gate issue because it was out of reason at that point. I think I'll be staying at my aunt's and just visiting with my mom.

I'll try to suck it up and deal with the Bjorn. DS is just heavy for me to carry in general...I'm really tiny so I can only manage his weight in the Bjorn for so long.

*sigh* I'm such a wimp about this it's so sad. Granted I could drive down but I just don't have the guts to do it. I never drove in NYC. It's too stressful for me and I'm liable to get myself in trouble. But again that you so much for your advice and generousity.

spunkybaby
03-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Can your mom borrow any baby gear for your visit? Or do any of your friends in NYC have babies/children and possibly extra gear that they can lend you? How will you be traveling to NYC if you're not driving? Are you taking the train or other public transit and then riding the subway to your mom's/aunt's place? If you're going to have to carry DS and schlep your luggage, gear on public transit, I personally would pack light and buy stuff (like extra diapers, wipes, food) when I arrived to make the trip easier since you'll have your hands full with DS.

Not-so-new mom to a spunky toddler
March 2004

BaileyBea
03-04-2006, 12:03 AM
I recently had to travel w/DS to a non-baby friendly home and I took Plug Outlet protecters (just one box). I also gathered all their breakables and valuables that DS could reach and put them in a giant box for them until we left.

I told them I rather be safe than sorry for DS breaking everything. Ask your Mom to try to look at everything from your DS's point of view and pack all that stuff up.

I know a PP suggested a hook on chair for eating and I wanted to second that recommendation. We have a Chicco one and it's very handly. We also have a Chicco umbrella stroller that has straps that is very good for quick trips and sidewalk walking. It was around $50. I guess that maybe the Tuscany stroller.

Marisa6826
03-04-2006, 01:21 AM
If you think that your Mom can't follow through in picking up a Volo, let me know, and I will run and get one for you. I am in and out of NYC reguarly, so I can just drop it off.

As I said, I'm happy to loan you my booster seat. I have a second one for Mia that I keep in the car.

I'd say I'd lend you my Zapp, but I use it pretty regularly.

-m

SpaceGal
03-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have an extra pack of diapers and formula for DS at my mom's house. I'll pick up food for him while I'm there so I don't have to schlep it around. I'll be flying into JFK with DS, I knew there was NO WAY I could handle him for five hours on a bus or Amtrak. JFK works out well since it's near my mom's house and she's agreed to come meet me at the airport.

We don't have any family or friends that have kids down in NYC, I'm kind of the oddball getting married and having a kid already. Most of my friends are still single and/or dating. So I'm like the first for all that stuff and so there's no one to really borrow from.

I really hope my mom will tidy up a bit because she really just leaves things lying out all the time. She leaves papers everywhere, telephone wires and power cords just running all over the place, a mop and broom just propped up against a wall. It's seriously is a scary sight her place. I just see my DS getting into everything and it wouldn't even be his fault. She doesn't even have a table other than her computer desk, she uses her coffee table or breakfast try for meals, her apartment is small so I understand but I just can't get over the mess factor. So with that in mind, I'll probably feed DS in a stoller since that will probably be the best option for my mom's place.

I usually use a messenger bag for a diaper bag so I know I'm all set there, I just actually need to organize it a bit, take out the junk I don't need and make sure it holds what I do need for subway/bus rides. In the meantime, I will work on getting my hands on a lightweight stroller and pack accordingly for both DS and I. I'm jut relieved he's "less messy" at this age and I don't need to pack as many changes of clothes since he's not spitting up like he would when he was younger.

Oh and thank you for the tip on the outlet covers, I'll have to pack a few of those.

Thank you all again for the tips and advice.

LD92599
03-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Just a heads up that i recently paid $59 for a NIB 2004 Volo at the Buy Buy Baby in Paramus (NJ). The NYC one could possibly have the same deal - maybe call them and see if they will ship it to your moms in advance of your visit?

Laura
mom to William

LKibala @ optonline.net
[img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/

Jen841
03-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Just a minute, but here is my 2 cents....
Cheap umbrella stroller, like $10 to leave there.

Me too chair

See if Grandma can borrow things. My Mom has the Grandma networking thing down to a science! They all share things.

Buy all you can there.

BACKPACK diaper bag, best thing for traveling: !