PDA

View Full Version : How do I find a good speech therapist?

kelly ann
03-06-2006, 11:34 AM
We went through EI the first time DS had speech therapy, but he is now over 3 years old. I could contact his old therapist, but I was not happy with her to begin with.

Also, we don't want to go through the school program to have therapy - we want to go the "private" route. How do I find a good speech therapist? Should I contact a local hospital?

brittone2
03-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Word of mouth is always the best IMO. Do you have contact with your old service/case coordinator from EI? She may be able to recommend some private practice SLPs that have good reputations. I would probably start there.

You could also speak with the school SLPs even if you aren't going to get school services. You could contact the local hospital as well. I'd actually ask all of those places if you can...maybe you'll hear the same 2-3 names mentioned and that will give you a good idea.

HTH.

nofeea
03-06-2006, 02:30 PM
You can definitely check the hospitals in your area and ask around (other parents). You'd be surprised how many preschoolers are getting services!

If you can't get any names that way you can always do a search for providers or facilities in your area on the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association website. Here's a link: http://www.asha.org/proserv/

Are there any colleges or universities near you with graduate programs in Speech Pathology? They usually have clinics also.

Good Luck!

alkagift
03-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Our ped has been in practice for 30 years and knows everybody--she recommended us to an excellent SLP. Check with your ped as well.

Allison

kelly ann
03-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I called up the ped and they gave the name of their favorite place (1-2 months waiting list though). I will also talk to DS preschool teacher to see if they can approach other parents whose children are in speech therapy. I forgot that one of DS old teachers did this to me when he was in therapy the first time.