PDA

View Full Version : Too late for Signing Times?

lvales
03-06-2006, 10:42 PM
I keep reading threads with people mentioning the things that their kids have learned from Signing Times, besides the sign language, of course. :)

I always wanted to get those for DD but her language skills took off faster than I could have ever imagined, so we haven't used the sign language as much as I had originally planned. She basically uses "eat", "more" and "cookie". For some reason she learned cookie pretty quickly!! :)

So my question is - are they worth buying if she's probably not going to use the signs? She's almost 15 months old, and she can say over 30 words already, thanks to a few "explosions" in her vocabulary where she learns 2-3 words a day for several days in a row.

I want to have something for her that is educational, and with songs/music because she's really into that. Is there something that's better for that, or would you recommend Signing Times? I've heard such good things about those videos!

**On a side note - my FIL apologized to me the other night for making fun of me when I first showed him and my MIL the Baby Signs book I bought when DD was born. When they kept DD the other day she was able to tell them when she was hungry, and when she wanted more food (or more playing). He was definitely impressed. :)

Help!
Linda

elliput
03-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Too late? Definitely not! From what I recall on the Signing Time website the regular videos are actually for toddlers and up. I think that even though your DD is quite advanced with her vocabulary, she will enjoy using the signs.

Just last week we got Baby Signing Time, which is marketed for 3-36 months old (DD is almost 14 months and has a couple of spoken words), and she loves them. I had been working with DD on some signs before we got the videos, but we had not really progressed on our own. DD takes great interest in the videos and tries to mimic the movements. I enjoy the music and together time with DD.

In case you haven't done it already, check out the Signing Time website http://www.signingtime.com/.

jamsmu
03-06-2006, 11:10 PM
I don't think so. My neighbor bought them for her 6 month old, and her VERY verbal 3 year old has picked it up so quickly and is LOVING it!!

A lot of my friends started around 12-15 months. Its geared for this age--especially the further you get into the series.

lisams
03-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Not too late at all! As a matter of fact I'm thinking of ordering the next set for my over 3 year old (and she's extremely verbal)! She asks me how to sign things all of the time! The coolest thing is that one day we were in the waiting room at our peds. and a little girl was there who was deaf. Emma saw her signing with her mom and so I told her that she could use her signs to talk to the little girl and she went over and signed "play" and the other little girl totally lit up! They went and found the bead maze and played together - it was a total proud mommy moment (and the other mom looked thrilled too!)

So I say that it's really not too late at all!

lvales
03-06-2006, 11:42 PM
That brings me to my second question - should I get the Baby version or the original version?

What's the difference between the two?

Linda

lvales
03-06-2006, 11:44 PM
>Not too late at all! As a matter of fact I'm thinking of
>ordering the next set for my over 3 year old (and she's
>extremely verbal)! She asks me how to sign things all of the
>time! The coolest thing is that one day we were in the
>waiting room at our peds. and a little girl was there who was
>deaf. Emma saw her signing with her mom and so I told her
>that she could use her signs to talk to the little girl and
>she went over and signed "play" and the other little girl
>totally lit up! They went and found the bead maze and played
>together - it was a total proud mommy moment (and the other
>mom looked thrilled too!)
>
>So I say that it's really not too late at all!

That is so sweet!!! I know you were a proud mommy! :)

holliam
03-06-2006, 11:44 PM
We don't do the videos but we started doing signs with DD around 8 months. She did a few but then her verbal skills kicked in. Around 15 months or so she suddenly became interested in signs again.

Now at 18 months she is doing a lot of word and sign combos. It's so adorable! :)

Holli

lvales
03-06-2006, 11:52 PM
>We don't do the videos but we started doing signs with DD
>around 8 months. She did a few but then her verbal skills
>kicked in. Around 15 months or so she suddenly became
>interested in signs again.
>
>Now at 18 months she is doing a lot of word and sign combos.
>It's so adorable! :)
>
>Holli

I know what you mean! :)

DD has been working on a molar for a while, and when I brushed her teeth tonight she didn't want me to stop. She kept grabbing the brush from me and rubbing it on her gums where it hurt. I basically gave up trying to brush the teeth she actually has. After about 5 minutes of me attempting to brush her teeth and her gnawing on the brush I decided to give it up.

As soon as I took the brush away she started throwing the biggest fit and kept saying "tih!" "TIH!!!" and signing more, while crying the whole time.

She looked so sad and cute all at the same time. I ended up distracting her with bubbles - which wasn't the best idea, as that ended in "bubble!" "BUBBLE!" with the more sign and more crying. I distracted her from that with a book. Next time I'll try the book first. She's been a bit grumpy with that molar!!

mudder17
03-07-2006, 12:21 AM
I started these videos at around 9 months, but honestly, Kaya never paid them much attention until around your DD's age. She loves them just as much for the music and dancing around as she does for learning signs. I would highly recommend these videos. However, I would suggest that you borrow a few volumes from the library just in case. One of Kaya's friends still has no interest in these videos (prefers Elmo and Baby Einstein), but another one of her friends has recently realized these are rather fun. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

ellies mom
03-07-2006, 02:18 AM
My DD never used signs until she could say the word. She knew some, she just wouldn't use them. Now at almost 2 1/2, she uses signs like mad, but mostly it is a game, she doesn't use too many for communicating. It is still a lot of fun though to sign different words back and forth with her.

I'd skip the Baby Signs one and just go straight for the regular Signing Times. If you want to check them out first, you should check with your library. Ours has volumes 1-6 on DVD.

deenass
03-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Not too late, DS started watching at 16 mos and now, at almost 3 is still watching. He's trying to sign letters now which is really fun!

Zana
03-07-2006, 11:54 AM
I just wanted to add that if you have TiVO, DVR or even tape it on your VCR, PBS is showing Signing Times (for us its on Sunday mornings).

I never bothered with signing at all, but have noted all the posts on it in this board. When I saw it on PBS, I started DVRing it for DS (who is almost 2 btw). He is quite verbal so I'm not actively teaching him anything, if he picks up the signs thats great if not he still enjoys the songs/music! Its win-win and free :)

lvales
03-07-2006, 01:51 PM
I was soooo hopeful about this - but my local PBS station doesn't carry the show :(

I guess I'll check some out from the library to make sure she likes them first, then buy them if she does.

lvales
03-07-2006, 01:51 PM
I was soooo hopeful about this - but my local PBS station doesn't carry the show :(

I guess I'll check some out from the library to make sure she likes them first, then buy them if she does.