PDA

View Full Version : Daycare lost NAEYC accreditation... should I worry?

newmommy0403
03-07-2006, 03:36 PM
I received a letter from my day care provider that they have lost their NAEYC accreditation. According to the letter, it seemed like very small issues and like it wasn't something to worry about. But, of course, I am concerned. Does anyone have any insight about what this means, or if I should be concerned? TIA!

newmommy0403
03-07-2006, 03:36 PM
I received a letter from my day care provider that they have lost their NAEYC accreditation. According to the letter, it seemed like very small issues and like it wasn't something to worry about. But, of course, I am concerned. Does anyone have any insight about what this means, or if I should be concerned? TIA!

Lynnie
03-07-2006, 03:50 PM
I would just find out why they lost it. The NAEYC criteria that mean most to me were the class student: teacher ratios. There were some, I don't remember which, which were not as important to me.

So, I'd find out why they lost it, and then you can always check out the naeyc website and see a list of all the criteria, and see if the daycare is still essentially the same as ever, and just didn't fulfill one or another thing that wasn't as important to you anyway.

Lynnie
03-07-2006, 03:50 PM
I would just find out why they lost it. The NAEYC criteria that mean most to me were the class student: teacher ratios. There were some, I don't remember which, which were not as important to me.

So, I'd find out why they lost it, and then you can always check out the naeyc website and see a list of all the criteria, and see if the daycare is still essentially the same as ever, and just didn't fulfill one or another thing that wasn't as important to you anyway.

JElaineB
03-07-2006, 04:05 PM
I would agree you might want to ask why but I wouldn't worry about it too much. My child care isn't NAEYC accredited and that is fine with us. They meet like 95% of the criteria but the child-centered philosophy of my center is such that it operates in some ways that NAEYC won't accredit it. Since we agree with the center's philosophy and methods of operating it doesn't bother me in the least. Personally (and I'm sure some will disagree), I think NAEYC accrediation is mostly a marketing tactic. I have seen at least 2 centers that are accredited that I would not put my child in for one day. And I'm very happy with my current non-accredited center!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB
03-07-2006, 04:05 PM
I would agree you might want to ask why but I wouldn't worry about it too much. My child care isn't NAEYC accredited and that is fine with us. They meet like 95% of the criteria but the child-centered philosophy of my center is such that it operates in some ways that NAEYC won't accredit it. Since we agree with the center's philosophy and methods of operating it doesn't bother me in the least. Personally (and I'm sure some will disagree), I think NAEYC accrediation is mostly a marketing tactic. I have seen at least 2 centers that are accredited that I would not put my child in for one day. And I'm very happy with my current non-accredited center!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

elliput
03-07-2006, 05:03 PM
My daycare was in the process of accreditation when we enrolled DD, and then achieved it a couple months later. I didn't even know there was such a thing or that the center was in process until I dropped off DD one day and everybody at the center was really excited and it was posted everywhere. So my thoughts on the matter - the NAEYC tag is a bonus, but not necessary.

elliput
03-07-2006, 05:03 PM
My daycare was in the process of accreditation when we enrolled DD, and then achieved it a couple months later. I didn't even know there was such a thing or that the center was in process until I dropped off DD one day and everybody at the center was really excited and it was posted everywhere. So my thoughts on the matter - the NAEYC tag is a bonus, but not necessary.