PDA

View Full Version : work issue--salary negotiation (very long, sorry!)

s_gosney
03-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I have some questions about salary negotiation/concerns. My boss had told me previously that she planned to pay BS level people $X and MS level people $X. She feels that people should be paid based on their level of education and their years of experience, and not based on the type of work done. I understand that this feeling stems from the broader issue of computer or business people making significantly more money than teachers and social service people with the same levels of education and experience and that she takes issue with this. I'm fine with equal pay across fields (although I think it's a little unrealistic), but, I think that there’s got to be some level of merit-based pay. Am I completely out of touch with reality? Does this really not happen at most jobs?

Now that we have had some preliminary discussions about next year, she mentioned she planned to pay me the same number she quoted me before for MS level people. Now granted, there’s nothing unfair about that. She told me that was the plan upfront. BUT, it really leaves me feeling like anything I’ve done above and beyond my basic job responsibilities was all for naught. I guess that she and I just basically have a different view on this issue, but I really think that if you don’t reward people who go above and beyond, they quickly start wondering why in the world they’re putting in all the extra effort. Then, either they stop putting in the extra effort, or if it’s just a basic part of their personality/work-ethic to go above and beyond, resentment can start to build.

So…all of that was a long, drawn-out way of asking for advice. Is this issue just something I deal with and go on? The salary that she’s willing to pay me is just as good, if not better, than anything I can make elsewhere, but at other jobs, in a few years I would be able to move up and I’m not real sure that possibility exists here. Basically, I’m not interested in looking for another job at this point. There are too many intangible benefits here (possibility of publications, good relationship with mentor, etc). What I’m really interested in knowing is if there’s any way I can address this with her without it sounding like an ultimatum. I don’t want it to come out “if you don’t give me a raise, I’m either going to cut down the effort or get bitter� because one, that’s not my point. And two, I think the issue is bigger than just me. I figure I’m not the only one who feels this way. So, if you have any suggestions on how to broach this subject, that would be great. If you have any thoughts on suggestions for non-monetary merit awards, I’d appreciate hearing those too.

Also, in the next few months, we’ll be in the process of developing this research team into more of an organization and I’ll be in a position to have a good deal of input. I really think that merit awards are something we need to think about beyond just full-time staff to include our part-time student workers that I supervise.

So, what to do? Address it directly from a personal point of view? Address it on an organizational level? (but while I can push for recognition of efforts, I won't have much say in how much we pay people) Or just drop it all together? This is pretty much my first "real" career-track job, so I'm not familiar with the norms of the field (which is university-based social science research, if that matters).

Sorry this is so long. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

KrisM
03-08-2006, 05:50 PM
I think for new-hires, that sounds reasonable, but once you are there, merit raises should exist. Why else would you ever want to put in extra work/time, if you won't be rewarded for it? Yes, getting a "thank you" is nice, but we all want to be paid more if we do more. I would be frustrated if I thought I couldn't move up more than a standard amount each year.

I would try to talk to your boss and get more details of how raises are handled. Maybe there is some merit part of it and you just haven't heard that part yet.

dhano923
03-09-2006, 04:55 AM
I agree with the PP that the education based salary is good for new hires, but once you've been with the company for over a year, you should be getting bonuses and/or raises based on your performance. Otherwise, like you mentioned, what's the motivation to work hard? I would speak to your boss and tell that you'd like to clarify the salary terms. Ask her about performance based raises and bonuses. Then tell her that you feel that you've worked above and beyond what you were expected to do. A good boss will recognize you for your effort.

I would approach this from a personal point of view, but you can mention that you'd like the entire department/office to be recognized as well. You can suggest a company lunch when a job's been done well, or closing the office early on a Friday so people can start their weekend early, etc. Something that can easily be done without a lot of effort on your boss' part.

As for non-monetary bonuses, the best one I can think of is a day off. My husband works for a major company and they get rewarded with gift cards to department and electronic stores, and paid days off. Another idea would be to start an employee of the month wall where you can put names/pictures. A preferred parking spot would also be good.

I worked HR before DS was born, so part of my job was to sit in on the yearly evaluations. If you tell your boss (nicely) what you expect and what you will offer in return, you have a good chance of getting what you want. Just don't demand, don't whine, and don't cry. Be confident, and know what you plan on saying before you say it.