PDA

View Full Version : Update: 8 mo crawls and cruises but still can't get off his back

samsonsmom
03-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Update: Well, he figured it out today. It just took a little more coaxing. And now I'm realizing that diaper changes will never be the same! :)

Should I be concerned? I've shared before that DS is a tummy sleeper (I know, SIDS but we could not get him to sleep on his back; he would get hysterical but that is a different post), so he hasn't spent much time on his back. Now, if we are playing and I put him on his back, he's usually ok with it as long as I keep up the interaction. But he shows no interest whatsoever in rolling onto his tummy, even if I put toys in strategic places for him to reach for. And if I try to put him down on his back for a nap, forget it. I think most babies by this point would just roll onto their tummies if they didn't like it, right?

brittone2
03-10-2006, 11:29 AM
It isn't a huge cause for concern IMO, but I'd get him checked. Something like torticollis (tight neck muscles) could make it hard for him to roll but might make it possible for him to do things like stand/crawl at this point.

There are kids who don't roll until 8 months, but at this point, I'd talk to your ped and/or request an EI eval to see what they say. It could be normal for your child, but I'd want to get a few things ruled out just in case. If he doesn't qualify for services that's great, but you'll have some peace of mind. If he does qualify, considering he's crawling/cruising, he may only need a very short course of physical therapy.

lilycat88
03-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Beth's the expert but I would also go with having an evaluation. DD hadn't rolled over by around 8 months and wasn't crawling either. We didn't think it would amount to much and that she was just "content" either on her back or sitting and playing with toys. Turned out that she had some muscle tightness in her hips and trunk that made it next to impossible for her to turn over. She eventually would have but would have been quite delayed. She was in physical therapy through our state's Early Intervention program for 6 months (she rolled over after only 3 weeks of therapy) and was discharged as developmentally appropriate.

Jamelin
DD Susanna 6/29/04

american_mama
03-10-2006, 07:27 PM
No advice, but I thought it might make you laugh to know that I read your subject line and thought it meant your son was crawling ON his back, ala the backstroke. I clicked on your link just to figure out how exactly he was doing that!

samsonsmom
03-10-2006, 09:36 PM
LOL, that's funny. You are right, it made me laugh!

mudder17
03-10-2006, 09:47 PM
oh my gosh! I clicked on this to see the update and I'm so glad he can roll now, but this totally cracked me up. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz