PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any recs for a pet dander air filter?

JMS
03-12-2006, 07:16 AM
My mom is visiting for a week and the cat dander is killing her. I need an air filter that I can buy at a B&M? I googled and found some really expensive filter but they are online only and brands I've never heard of. Any advice/recommendations would be so greatly appreciated. BTW, the cat is vacating with another relative while my mom is staying with us, so we've removed the source :)

writermama
03-12-2006, 01:44 PM
I have 3 Honeywell HEPA filters and highly recommend them.

This is the kind I have, though mine are almost 8 years old:
http://www.honeywellpurifiers.com/honeywell-quietCare.shtml

I know I didn't pay that much for them, but then that was also almost 8 years ago. I bought 1 of mine at Montgomery Wards (now gone, so that's no help), but I think I bought the others at Sears or Home Depot.

We also bought a small HEPA filter at Wal-Mart one time when we were visiting my DH's family -- we keep it at their house, so I don't know what kind it is, but it was small relatively quiet, and seemed to hlp, though not as much as my Honeywells.

As a general rule, you should avoid "ionizing" air "cleaners". These are not real air filters. They add ions to the air, which may remove certain odors, but add to indoor air pollution. What they are basically doing is creating smog inside your room. Not good for anybody's lungs, especially not good for kids.

Good luck and hope this helps,

kristine_elen
03-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Vornado got a good rating from Consumer Reports. We got it b/c our neighbor's cig smoke comes through the walls. Works well. Avail at Bed Bath and Beyond.