PDA

View Full Version : Interviewing a doula?

new_mommy25
03-13-2006, 06:26 PM
I am in the process of searching for a birth doula and I was hoping for a little help. I have gotten two names recommended to me by a friend, and I also found 4 names on the DONA website. When I contact the women what kind of questions should I be asking?

A little background: This is my second child. With my first I wanted to go natural but ended up with an epidural and a rough delivery. I blame myself mostly because I didn't advocate well for myself and lacked confidence. DH and I are taking Bradley classes but I think I will need someone else there as well in case he forgets how to help me.

murpheyblue
03-13-2006, 07:53 PM
I just did this - interview doulas that is. I think what you want to ask depends largely on what is important to you as far as a birth experience. I had an epidural the first time around and might end up with one again so I wanted someone who'd be ok with that - someone whose goal was for me to have the birth experience I wanted. Talk to prospective doulas about your previous birth - what didn't go the way you wanted, what did. I found it was good just to get talking to someone to see how the relationship developed.

Some practical questions:

Obviously, questions about her training and experience?
How do you feel about my doctor and my hospital?
Are you available around my due date?
Are there any limitations to your availability?
Will you come to my house?
How many clients do you take in a month?
What is your back-up situation?
What is your fee, and what does it include?
-prenatal visits?
-postnatal visits?
-breastfeeding help?
How long do you stay after the baby is born?
Any time limits on labor before additional fees kick in?
What are your standard payment arrangements?

brittone2
03-14-2006, 12:32 AM
These are in line w/ the above but expanding a little...

-getting a feel for her ability to support pain meds if you request them (if you think this is a possibility)

-any materials she can share w/ you? I wouldn't have thought to ask this in advance but my doula gave me a birthing ball to use (my own physioball had popped recently), gave us some books to borrow that were relevant to things DH and I had asked about, she gave DH some books on becoming a daddy to borrow that were really great, a CD to borrow...etc.

-get a feel for how strongly she'll advocate w/ staff on your behalf, and how that plays out generally in the hospital where you plan to deliver (for example, I was only having discomfort in labor while hooked up to the EFM, and my doula got my nurse to hook me up so I could kneel and lean over the back of the bed since that was more comfortable...the nurse didn't *like* it but it was possible, kwim? Some hospitals may be less accomodating no matter how much she advocates.)

-can she help you w/ your birthplan (mine provided some sample templates/lists of options, etc.) if you are interested in that.