PDA

View Full Version : Taking about the Ice Cream man - IL wants background checks

JulieL
03-15-2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-leg04.html

just was thinking about this related to the other post - you got to admit some of those guys do look creepy!

wagner36
03-15-2006, 06:53 PM
There was a flashing incident with an ice cream man (guy driving around with his pants open) in a town near mine (Berwyn for those of you in Chicago), so I am quite pleased!

emilyf
03-15-2006, 07:40 PM
In my old neighborhood (urban) you never saw or heard the ice cream truck until at least 10 pm-there were rumors that the guy was selling drugs, which was probably true since most of the customers were adults.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

hobokenmom
03-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Just thought I would share that I have the nicest ice-cream truck guy in the world. His name is Tony, and he drives the cleanest Mister Softee truck in the world. The inside of his truck is spotless, with the stainless steel sparkling clean!

I've known Tony (well, I've been buying ice cream from him) for almost 10 years, and he's such a good guy. We're probably one of his best customers, and for my son's birthday one year, he gave both kids Mister Softee t-shirts.

In the winter, he's a truck driver, but he's not your stereotypical truck driver type. He's clean cut, always wearing a polo shirt with jeans and very clean tennis shoes.

If you contact him in advance, he'll even come to your house for your child's birthday party (of course you have to buy the ice cream)

I didn't read the aforementioned article in the Sun times, but I just wanted to let you know that all ice cream truck drivers aren't scary.

Just wanted to add that Hoboken has very strict rules about territory and the times that the truck is permitted to play the Mister Softee song.

I'll admit I myself am kind of creeped out by some of the more generic ice cream trucks around (like the ones who sell all sorts of stuff including candy).

Another great thing about our ice cream man Tony is that he sells a very short ice cream cone for $1 that is great for toddlers.

Also, just my opinion, but I'd so much rather give my kids soft-serve Mister softee than those awful artificially colored Dora or Spiderman pops or the fake "whatever" (Tasti-d-lite) that they sell here in town.

jennifer_r
03-15-2006, 09:56 PM
I think that's great and makes total sense. But, it reminds of that movie with Steve Buscemi where he was the Ice Cream man, was drunk half the time and fooled around with a 14ish year old.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif[/img][/url]

Saartje
03-15-2006, 10:36 PM
We had that problem in the neighborhood I moved out of last year. They'd go by all day, but they kept going until well after 10 at night, and some days we'd have a dozen or more ice cream trucks pass by our house. Someone told me that sometimes they're used for money laundering; I don't know if it was the case there or not, but I'm glad they'll be requiring background checks for the sake of children's safety.