PDA

View Full Version : So I finally decided to tell dc that I'm expecting a baby.

sallysmith
03-16-2006, 09:33 AM
She's 2.5yo. I said to her that we are going to have a baby. She asked "why?". I said "babies are very nice. we like babies, right?" and she said "no". Great. That went over well. Actually, I know she is not feeling well, so i'm not too upset about her reaction. What did upset me is that I realized this morning that her babysitter has been telling her that she's going to have a new baby. I'm so upset. (irrationally upset, because i've been very irrational about a lot of stuff lately.) I wish the babysitter wouldn't take it upon herself to tell dc these things. I hate the feeling that I'm making decisions that are being undermined or contradicted by other people.

Jen841
03-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Sorry!

If you are christian, I would recommend the book God Gave Us You. It talks about how babies are an expression of love. I think it is one of the sweetest books we have.

kedss
03-16-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm sorry you didn't get to tell your daughter. :( I would definitely try reading some books with her, about being a big sister or just about families in general.

big hugs, mama

sallysmith
03-16-2006, 10:21 AM
It sounds like a nice book. I'll see if i can find it. Thanks.

sallysmith
03-16-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm not upset that I didn't get to tell her first. I'm more upset b/c she doesn't really like the babysitter and she is very against anything the sitter suggests. (She won't want to play with a certain toy if the sitter offers it, things like that.) So I'm just afraid that having the sitter mention it is going to give her negative feelings about the baby. It's not irreversible and it's not the a tragic thing, it's just another little nuisance that makes things harder than it has to be.

Rachels
03-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Sounds like time to ditch the sitter.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

kedss
03-16-2006, 10:39 AM
I agree.

bcky2
03-16-2006, 10:40 AM
that is what i was going to say :)

she will love having the baby around and im sorry that telling her didnt go over so well. i agree with the book idea, it made my ds more excited about his baby brother :)

MarisaSF
03-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Congrats on expecting another baby!

I'd continue to talk to your DD in matter of fact terms.
Instead of opportunities for her to say "No," give her choices.
Ex: "The baby's going to wear clothes. Would you like to dress her in green or purple?" "Should we put the socks in this drawer or this one?"

Hope you work things out with the sitter.