PDA

View Full Version : Help - Vacationing in Oregon/California

jennifer1143
03-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Hi - We will be spending about 10 days on vacation in Aug/Sept. We are looking for a place to stay right on the ocean in Oregon - preferably we could walk right out onto the beach. Does anyone know of a vacation home type place we could rent in the lower half of Oregon or upper California? We were thinking maybe Crescent City? Any input? Thanks!

Jennifer

ellies mom
03-16-2006, 06:38 PM
I don't know of a vacation home to rent but you could check out the Arcata/Eureka area. My sister used to live there and it is just gorgous. If you don't mind going further north in Oregon, Cannon Beach is great.

alleyoop
03-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Much more north than you are looking for... but we stayed a week here http://www.hallmarkinns.com/ in Cannon Beach in early September and it was GREAT!!Perfect for kids, condos, just steps to the beach. Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Good Luck,

shilo
03-16-2006, 08:45 PM
further south than you are looking, but the monterey penninsula and bay area in california is spectacular that time of year (not to mention one of the best aquariums in the country for kids :). if that interests you, i can give you more info, but a fabulous place to stay over on the coast is Capitola-by-the-Sea. super quaint, but still plenty to do, seaside village. there are lots of vacation rentals, and also little mediteranean-like condo's right on the beach that rent separately or some of them have been turned into a little 'hotel' business. here is the link to the 'hotel.'

http://www.capitolavenetian.com/

have fun planning!
lori

Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

mommy_someday
03-17-2006, 01:37 AM
I've been to Oregon once, a few years ago, but I absolutely fell in love with it! My favorite spot is Cape Perpetua/Devil's Churn. Google it - it's amazing! I forget exactly where it is, but I think it's south of a little town called Yachats (yah-HAHTS). Check out Devil's Churn if you have time - you won't be disappointed! :)

I hope someone has good recommendations on lodging for you. GL!

pl71
03-17-2006, 05:28 PM
This is a bed and breakfast I stayed at in Northern California (very close to Oregon). It was fanstastic. They have steps that lead down to a private beach. The room we stayed in had a neat loft for kids. It was the nicest B&B I've ever stayed at.

http://www.lostwhaleinn.com/

Sarah1
03-17-2006, 06:48 PM
We went to Cannon Beach a few years ago and it was great. We didn't have kids then, but it seemed very family friendly. :)

hobey
03-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Bandon or the Coos Bay/North Bend area are closer to the Northern CA border and the area is chock full of beautiful coastal scenery.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

samsonsmom
03-17-2006, 08:32 PM
I just wanted to brag that I grew up in Waldport, which is just about 10 miles north of Yachats. Many a school picnic was held at Cape Perpetua Park. I agree, Devil's Churn is a must see. Yachats is more like halfway up the OR coast, so it may be too far from California for you. I'm trying to remember if there are nice places to stay in Yachats...I should know, I worked at a resort there (The Adobe) for a summer, and it is RIGHT on the beach but I worked in the restaurant so I'm not exactly sure what the rooms are like these days. But the restaurant has a SPECTACULAR view of the ocean, huge waves crashing against rocks.

Cannon Beach is kind of way up there, but I agree it is very nice. Couple years ago DH and I stayed a few days at the Cannon Beach Hotel (http://www.cannon-beach.net/lodging/cblodging.html) and it was very, very nice.

If you have further questions about the Oregon Coast, feel free to PM me. I lived there for over 20 years. :)

jennifer1143
03-17-2006, 09:39 PM
What kind of room did you stay in the Hallmark? Was it right on the beach? Is Cannon Beach a touristy town? Thanks!

Jennifer

alleyoop
03-17-2006, 11:19 PM
We stayed in an "Oceanfront Queen w/ fireplace" and it was right on the beach. You had to walk down the hall and down about 50 steps to get to the beach, but our room had an oceanfront balcony. The room had a small kitchen, table with seating for 4, bedroom with queen bed and TV, bathroom that was seperate from the bedroom and another queen bed that pulled down from the wall in the living room (it was a regular comfy mattress). We loved this arrangement because it meant we could put the kids down for thier naps/nite in the bedroom and we had the rest of the place to ourselves. I think that Cannon Beach is touristy, but it is really small, so it can't get too bad. Must go to "Pig and Pancake" for breakfast one day. Yummy sourdough pancakes!

Also, you can take a day trip to Tillamook for the cheese factory (great ice cream!) and air museum for some distraction.

My son on the beach:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32581.jpg

I will see if I can upload more pics later.

jennifer1143
03-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks so much for all your info. When were you there? Was the beach & town really crowded? How long did you stay there?

Again I appreciate the help. The room sounds great. I think I'll call today. My little boy has been looking at the photo of your little boy - he keeps saying "I want to go there!"

Jennifer

kep
03-27-2006, 12:55 PM
We honeymooned in Cannon Beach, at the Hallmark Inn. ITA with everything that's been posted. It rocks! The Hallmark is georgous, and it is right on the beach, with great views. (It overlooks the beach stretch where Goonies was filmed). We had a room with a kitchenette and spa tub. :)

Kelli
Mama to Luke