PDA

View Full Version : Probiotics, Vitamins and Juices Plus Anyone? {X-Posted In Feeding Forum}

chiqanita
03-17-2006, 01:10 PM
I did a search on this topic and didn't find what I was searching for so....

At our 18 mo WBV pedi suggested the following for DSx2:

1. Start Amazing Grass Kidz SuperFood (similar to Juices Plus).

2. Start w/ 1/2 a vitamin daily, Nature's Plus Animal Parade.

3. Finally, start giving a probiotic to boost immune system.

Can anyone share any helpful info on any of the above items?

TIA :7

Edited for clarity.

(I tried to post this last night but it didn't seem to work....if it did and I missed it sorry for the double post)

kcandz
03-17-2006, 02:27 PM
I can't speak to the vitamins/juices but we give our DC (2 years) probiotic every night, and we credit it for fending off the colds DH and I have brought home almost once a month since September. DC just got one cold this past month, and that has been it other than an occasional sniffle since almost a year ago.

brittone2
03-17-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm a huge probiotic fan. Definitely get a good quality one...these will generally be in the refrigerated section of the health food store/Whole Foods, etc. The quality is much better than the shelf-stable types.

Baby Jarrow is a good brand.

It IMO definitely is a miracle food. There are studies out in legitimate medical journals now that are saying it may benefit overall immune function, eczema, digestive issues, etc. I feel it goes even beyond that and I totally think probiotics have helped DS's health.

leanng
03-18-2006, 09:21 AM
I have been taking Juice Plus for years and give my son their 'gummies' daily. We also do probiotics and I really think it's helped him stay healthy this past winter.

I say there's no harm in trying it. Also, I recommend fish oil. Nordic Naturals has a line for children that comes in either capsules or flavored oil. I sneak it into a yogurt smoothie. :)

Good luck,
LeAnn

Mom to Alex 11/12/02

daisymommy
03-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Okay, first of all can someone catch me up on what probiotics are, what they do, why you take them, etc.? I cannot believe I am so clueless on the subject! Educate me!

Next, anyone care to list the healthy supplements you all give your kiddos, the brand names, amounts, where you get them, etc.?

I feel like Joshua is such a picky eater, and we have all been sick too much this year, that I'd love to start a new health & nutrition regime for him soon.

lisams
03-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Emma gets 1 Animal Parade multi-vitamin a day (we recently switched from Winnie The Pooh ones) and 2 Nordic Natural children's fish oil capsules. The fish oil really helped with her eczema (when I was nursing her - she started clearing up as soon as I started taking it, so when she weaned we started her on the children's). I also use Highland's childrens vitamin C tabs when she has a cold. I get all of this at a local natural food store. I think drugstore.com carries some of these, I know the Animal Parade vitamins for sure.

I take a probiotic daily and am thinking of starting DD on one since she isn't into yogurt as much as she used to be.

Can't wait to hear what others use!

ETA - here's a link I found that kind of explains what probiotics are and the benefits http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/start/kidszone.asp?article_ID=977

chiqanita
03-18-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm the OP who asked about the above items. I have 18 m.o. twin boys.
One eats well the other is a little more particular about what he eats namely most foods except for veggies. Also, one might be allergic to penicillin (not certain but not taking chances). We want to give their immune systems a huge boost.

I like the idea of adding fish oil as suggested by one of the PPs so I'll be checking on that.

I really haven't done anything else in the supplements dept but I have given them yogurt on a daily basis.

I think you should start a thread with your question because not everyone will see it here...it's a good idea and I know I'd like to learn more as well.

brittone2
03-19-2006, 05:21 PM
A lot of our immune function is related to the health of our gut, and for it to be healthy you need to have a good population of healthy bacteria. Because many people eat high sugar/carb/processed food diets, that can kill off a lot of the good bacteria and impact your health. Antibiotic use, etc also contributes to an imbalance. Probiotics are essentially healthy, beneficial bacteria. They can help keep yeast and the not-so-good bacteria in check w/ their presence.

Probiotics are definitely getting more mainstream. If you search sites like www.pubmed.com you can get studies done on their use...the medical community is starting to realize they are helpful for allergies, eczema, constipation, diarrhea, rotavirus type illnesses, possibly chronic issues like Chrons disease, and general health/immune function.

The best kind are generally refrigerated. We use Baby Jarro-dophilus...it looks like this:
http://www.vitacost.com/JarrowFormulasBabysJarroDophilus

You only need a small amount. You can sprinkle it on food or add it to some yogurt or applesauce. It doesn't have a super strong taste or anything.

phirey
03-19-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't have any problems with the products listed -- there is good science behind antioxidants and the like -- but Juice Plus is a well-known MultiLevel Marketing Scam. They intentionally get less-than-ethical medical providers to pad their pocketbook by selling it to unwary patients.

In the case of my former creep of a boss, Juice Plus was the slippery slope he fell down on his way to bringing in the Church of Scientology to help manage the practice. For every $50 bottle of pills his nurse sold to women hoping to get pregnant/maintian pregnancy, she got $10 and he, as distributor, got $14. The patients were never told about their personal profiteering. He preyed on the fears of women who had had miscarriages, letting them believe taking Juice Plus might help them keep their pregnancies. It was awful.

The American Medical Association has a position statement deriding the sale of Juice Plus and other MLM products in medical offices:

http://www.quackwatch.org/02ConsumerProtection/ds1997.html

Here's some other info on Juice Plus:

http://www.mlmwatch.org/04C/NSA/juiceplus.html

Now if I see a practitoner selling Juice Plus in their office, I do not refer patients there. After that experience, I was on a second interview at a very slick practice. I noticed a Juice Plus sign in the waiting room and asked about it. I was told if i accepted the job not only would I be paid a nice salary, but I'd have the potential to double it if I also sold Juice Plus to my patients. I ended the interview there. Although I admire much of Dr. Sears advice, knowing what I know about Juice Plus, I find it really disgusting that he sells it on his site.

starrynight
03-20-2006, 10:03 AM
I don't know about those vitamins, haven't tried them myself. But probiotics are wonderful!! They really help the immune system and the stomach.

randomkid
03-20-2006, 02:55 PM
If you can't find the Baby Jarro-Dophilus, you can use the regular for kids. I found this at Whole Foods and it give directions on the label for infants and children. I just mix it into water for DD - it has no taste.

http://www.vitacost.com/JarrowFormulasJarroDophilusFos-200Caps

I'm so glad you posted this. DH just had the flu and here I was wondering if probiotics would help me and DD (along with cleaning everything he touched over and over, handwashing and keeping him away from us for 4 days!). I have a bit of an upset stomach (something I ate, I think) and just took mine a little bit ago. After this post, I'm going to start using it regularly for DD and myself. We have had way too many illnesses this winter.

I also have read that flaxseed oil is supposed to boost the immune system.

Thanks for posting!

kboyle
03-20-2006, 03:07 PM
i'm glad this was posted, i've been interested in starting probiotic for both DSs and I'll have to check out the Baby's Jarrow Dophilus next time I go to our health food market.

thanks!

Lucia
01-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Our son took Juice Plus for the past year but with a recent move we discontinued our "subscription". I would love to find something similar but less expensive and available without mailordering....does anything exist? Is there a gummy vitamin at healthfood stores that I should try for him?

Thanks!

Lucia
01-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Our son took Juice Plus for the past year but with a recent move we discontinued our "subscription". I would love to find something similar but less expensive and available without mailordering....does anything exist? Is there a gummy vitamin at healthfood stores that I should try for him?

Thanks!

Crunchymom
01-26-2007, 03:53 AM
I'm a big fan of probiotics as well. DS also has ezcema and I make him fruit smoothies with probiotics, fish oil, flaxseed oil, and ground flaxseeds mixed in. It's super good and you can't even tell all that stuff is in it!

Crunchymom
01-26-2007, 03:53 AM
Double post.

Sillygirl
01-26-2007, 05:06 AM
Thanks for posting this, Peggy. I am skeptical of a lot of the claims made of supplements - I think a lot of time, research on a specific portion of the population is generalized inappropriately to everyone. But I had no idea about the backstory behind Juice Plus. Quackwatch is a great site.

miki
01-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Lisa,

I didn't know Nordic Naturals made a capsule for kids. Does Emma chew them?

billysmommy
01-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Not Lisa but we've been giving these to Billy since he was 2. He just pops them in his mouth and chews them up. They have a strawberry-like taste at first but they are fish oil :) He's never complained about the taste though and always asks for his fish vitamins :)

billysmommy
01-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Could you please post a recipe for the smoothies? :)

Tondi G
01-26-2007, 03:18 PM
we give our boys Rainbow Light Nutristars multi's.

http://www.rainbowlight.com/CategoriesProducts.aspx?Category=00dc9833-9771-463e-b03b-4f3ca9d1b4e5

I've been slacking on the probiotics but I am going to get some new powder and get going again! I think we'll try out the nordic naturals too!

I read about a suppliment here for immune health called Childrens Winter Health Compound made by Herbpharm I think. I am going to look for some of that at Whole Foods when I go for the probiotics!

http://www.herb-pharm.com/Products/products_fs.html

~Tondi

lisams
01-26-2007, 03:42 PM
What she said :-) DD likes how they "pop" when she bites down on them!

mum1day
01-26-2007, 08:05 PM
So does my DD! She loves her fish oils! We give her Nordic Naturals as well.

mum1day
01-26-2007, 08:08 PM
My DD takes these as well and LOVES them. They now have a new flavor-tropical fruit.

I give my DD Dr. Udo's probiotics. I empty the capsule into her breakfast.

She also takes Nordic Naturals Fish Omega fish oils.

I also give my DD Buried Treasure Children's ACF, which is an immune booster.

overcome
01-26-2007, 09:12 PM
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! Yes, I am shouting b/c I am so excited to find such good info. I've been thinking about probiotics for awhile, so this is just the push I needed.

For you experienced mommies, how do these prices look?

Jarrow Formulas Baby's Jarro Dophilus -- 2.5oz (70g) Powder
$9.49

Nature's Plus Animal Parade Chewables -- 180 Animal-shaped Tablets
$13.86

Nordic Naturals Children's DHA -- 250 mg - 180 Chewable Soft Gels
$16.34

I have them in my shopping cart at https://www.vitacost.com

ETA: How do I know how much to give my DD? I have a feeling my ped won't be up on this :eyeroll:

TIA!

Dee150
01-26-2007, 09:48 PM
I give (well- on most days) DS Flora's Infant and Toddler probiotic, mixed in with his rice milk. DS has intolerances to gluten and casein among other things (they cause a flare up of his eczema- totally clear up after cutting out the offensive foods). I started the probiotic to help with that, esp. since he has no yogurt. I can't really say that the probiotic helped with the eczema for sure though. I also give him Dr. Udo's (again Flora) Omega 3-6-9 blend.
Great thread- I will look into the vitamins now!
BTW, what's a WBV pedi?

KrisM
01-26-2007, 11:28 PM
WBV pedi-

WBV = well baby visit
pedi - pediatrician

cdlamis
01-27-2007, 01:33 PM
What are the benefits of fish oil vs flax seed oil? I give my DDs flax seed oil every day but now see that most of you do fish oil.

Thanks for any info.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04
"http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif"

BargainMomforLuke
01-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Thank you to everyone for sharing all of this great info.!!!

miki
01-27-2007, 02:33 PM
I can't tell you how much exactly to give your DD. Mine is 3yo and weighs about 33lbs. Each day I give her one multivitamin (180 tabs of Rainbow Light Multistars, about $12), a half teaspoon of powdered probiotic (Nature's Way Children's, about $6), and a half teaspoon of cod liver oil (when I had Nordic Naturals I got one bottle of liquid, not the chewable, for about $20 and lasted for 3 months).

chiqanita
01-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Wow that was some time ago. Our twin sons are now 2years and 5 months old. Just to update you this is what we've been doing on this topic:

1. Something similar to Juices Plus....just drew a blank on the name...daily. It's chocolate flavored and I found it at our local Sprouts store. I also drink it because I like it better than the adult version.
2. 1/2 a vitamin daily, Nature's Plus Animal Parade (grape)
3. Kefir plain in their morning oatmeal per a kind nutritionist we saw at our local Sprouts

I want to start the fish oil but hesitate because of what I heard about a week ago. I think it was on the Today show. Basically the person (nutritionist, doctor ?) suggested we eat fish twice a week instead of taking the supplements including flax seed. DH and I take both all of the time. Anyone more educated on these two items who can share some info?
Thanks!

cchavez
01-27-2007, 04:01 PM
do they taste like fish oil

Tried the nordic natural liquid once and he hated them!
tia!

fauve01
01-27-2007, 05:17 PM
DD is taking nordic naturals children's dha and they taste like strawberry. she loves them!

https://www.nordicnaturals.com/direct/prodsummary.asp?ID=1

HTH~
Anne + DD 10-03

fauve01
01-27-2007, 05:17 PM
DP

cchavez
01-28-2007, 10:27 AM
My DS is very picky and would take a gel type tablet but if the Natures Plus are like his vitamins...he would take them.....

supercalifragilous
01-29-2007, 11:44 PM
We switch between the Udo's Choice Infant Formula and Baby Jarrow's (whichever is available at the store), though the Baby Jarrow's tends to last longer since it's only 1/4 tsp versus Udo's 1/2 tsp. We've also tried the Primadophilus as well.

I think DD does much better on the Udo's Choice just b/c that's what we've had her on since she was an infant. Baby Jarrow's boasts that it has more active cultures (1 bazillion :P) but I think DD just does better with Udo's. Just a personal preference or what she's used to, I guess. I feel like Udo's is more potent. Plus it's always sold out at our local health-food store (which is why I'll also by Baby Jarrow's when I'm desperate).

We mix the powder with DD's yogurt every morning, along with her Nordic Naturals fish oil and multivitamin. I still stick to the liquid multivitamin b/c I've read so many studies about the chewables/gummies not dissolving appropriately for the child to have the full benefits. We also give her a chewable fish oil - either NN strawberry or another brand - I forget the name - that's orange flavored. She loves them both, but the orange one contained more Omegas in ONE "fish egg" (what we call it) so I switched.

About the probiotic - when DD has diarrhea or a stomach bug, we just give her an extra yogurt with an extra helping of Udo's in the afternoon and it really helps settle her stomach down. I can't say enough about probiotics - it really has made a difference in DD's health.