PDA

View Full Version : need opinion on glasses that darken in the sun

Mikesa3
03-17-2006, 03:35 PM
I need new glasses soon and am debating about getting the kind that darken in the sun. I've never been one to like sunglasses but have worn them some in the last two years since I have ones that were made to go on my glasses I have now. I never liked how everything looks gloomy with sunglasses but the older I get the more the sun bothers my eyes so I think I'd like the transition lenses that darken. Any opinions? Love them or hate them?
Thanks
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

Piglet
03-17-2006, 04:06 PM
I love mine, DH doesn't love his. I think it is a pretty personal thing. I love mine because I have never been able to remember my sunglasses and I am bad at deciding before I go somewhere if I will need sunglasses - these are always on my face and if I find myself at a park with DS on a sunny day, I am covered! DH doesn't find they do enough to block the sun for his needs - DH uses sunglasses for driving more than anything else. He wears baseball caps when we go to the park or the like. Transitions will not tint in the car because the windsheild blocks a lot of UV light. For me, I have never been bothered by sun in my eyes when I drive, so it wasn't an issue. The only other thing that annoys people is that it takes up to 5 minutes for the glasses to untint when you come inside. Within a minute or so I can hardly tell by looking through them that they are tinted, but everyone that sees me will still see them tinted for another 4 minutes or so. I don't like that it takes so long to untint, but generally, it isn't a problem (other than esthetic issues with wearing half-tinted glasses). For me, I am on to my second pair of Transitions and will buy them again. DH in't convinced they are worth the extra expense and might not go for them again.

trumansmom
03-17-2006, 06:44 PM
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago, and for the most part, I love them. Unlike PP's, mine *do* in fact tint in the car, which is where I need them to the most. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting these lenses on all future glasses. It's just so darned convenient.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

Mikesa3
03-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks Marina and Jeanne for your replies. Hmm.. I think I will try them this time. I can get new glasses in two years w/my insurance if I don't like them. (I do have to pay to get them transitions but I think it will be worth it.)

hez
03-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Nancy-- Did they address things like formal pictures?

I just have this vision in my head of one horrible family picture where both my parents' lenses had darkened up! Not the most attractive (add the perms they both had, and it was *really* unattractive!).

I'm thinking the technology has gotten lots better since then, and it's not an issue, but that's the first thing that came to my mind!

mommyj_2
03-18-2006, 12:34 PM
That's what I was thinking too. We had some goofy pictures when my grandparents got these.

janettadine
03-18-2006, 01:49 PM
I have had tinting glasses for the last year, and I don't like them-- it bothers me that they don't tint in the car, and when we had a family pic done outside, DH and I had to take off the glasses. A friend has the new kind of clip on-- instead of a clip, it uses a magnet, so it doesn't look dorky. ;) I'm thinking of getting those next time.

They are pretty convenient, though, and I do like that. The tinting also doesn't seem to be as strong as sunglasses you buy in the store, so things don't look gloomy, like you said. They seem to tint just enough to keep the sun from hurting your eyes.

Mikesa3
03-18-2006, 04:09 PM
ugh! I didn't think about outside pictures. I like to do our own family picture on the beach each year dressed in denim and white (ok we only done it once so far.LOL ) but I hope to do it each year. Hmm...more to think about.

mommy_someday
03-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Nancy, I was an optician for several years and can agree with what PPs said about the photosensitive lenses. I've been out of it for about 1.5 years, and the technology constantly changes. At the time, there was a Transitions alternative called Sunsensors that lightened/darkened faster than Transitions. It would definitely be worth asking your local optician about. If they have a UV light box and sample lenses, they can even demonstrate it for you. They aren't supposed to tint in the car due to UV filters in windshields, but I have found there are exceptions sometimes for whatever reason. The only thing that I really wanted to add is that over time, the lens material (regardless of brand) retains some of the tint. So in a couple of years, your lenses will look slightly gray/brown (depending on the shade you choose) when you are completely away from any UV light. That was one of the major cons that my patients always mentioned to me.

That being said, they are definitely more convenient than carrying a second pair of sunglasses (like I do) or a pair of clip ons. A lot of my patients really loved not having to think about it, especially if they were the type to lose their sunglasses.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. HTH! :)