PDA

View Full Version : OT: Politics for Families

psophia17
03-17-2006, 05:00 PM
I've been looking for websites that focus on how politics and current political events are affecting families, both short- and long-term. I don't care about party affiliation, I just want explanations of how "family values" are tied in to different issues, and why. Googling has brought me to many articles, but that's not quite what I'm looking for...I'm not sure if I'm using too many terms to search or not enough.

Can anyone point me in any direction?

Thanks!

himom
03-18-2006, 06:47 AM
Here's a very conservative one -- and of course, as per the topic, it's heavy on the politics, so please be aware before clicking.

http://www.family.org/cforum/fnif/

In addition to the normal, really controversial stuff there are some good articles & opinions on gambling, education, bioethics, etc.

Jodi

himom
03-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Bumping, because now I'm really curious. Doesn't anybody know of any other sites??

I thought for sure, at least, on vouchers, etc there might be some family related sites...

psophia17
03-21-2006, 08:13 PM
I was wondering, too - I'm surprised there's only one.

Wife_and_mommy
03-21-2006, 11:41 PM
I know there are a couple more but I can't remember what they are. I've been racking my brain since you posted. Sorry I can't help more.

Elizabeth
mommy to DD('04) and DS('06)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

jec2
03-22-2006, 01:31 PM
You are really asking two different questions and both of which has been studied extensively.

The first question is how political events can effect people. That is usually under the domain of what "political socialization" scholars do.

The second is how values, attitudes, opinions are connected and is the domain of those who study "public opinion."

Obviously there is some overlap but you could probably do a scholarly search on google using those two terms.

ETA: you could also read George Lakoff, Don't think of an elephant, in which he discusses the use of metaphors in politics.