PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone have a good hummus recipe?

jenjenfirenjen
03-17-2006, 05:58 PM
I love, love, love hummus from restaurants and even some from Whole Foods and the like but have not had the best luck making it at home. As I remember, it came out kind of bland and grainy.

So my supper club is meeting this Sunday and the theme is Middle Eastern and I signed up to bring hummus. I need help!

Does anyone have a recipe they like? Also, I LOVE garlic so the more garlicky the better. Thanks!

BeachBaby
03-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Oh! Me, me! :)

3 cans garbanzo beans, drained
3 large cloves of garlic (of course, you can add more ;) )
dash of soy sauce
juice of 2 lemons
3/4 c. tahini
1/4 c. fresh parsley (2 T. dried)
lots of black pepper
dash of cayenne pepper

Blend all in food processor, then slowly add in olive oil to get the right consistency.

Soooo yummy! And now I'm craving hummus. :)

miki
03-18-2006, 12:46 AM
The best results I've had come from using dried chick peas and cooking them instead of using canned. You can cook them with garlic and other seasonings to add more flavor.

Jo..
03-18-2006, 06:37 AM
We've tried a few recipes, and this one is our favorite.
It's from Alton Brown (the food tv guy with the short spiky hair and the thick black glasses).
It's also really quick & easy. Try it!

Turbo Hummus

3 Cloves Garlic
1 Can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
1/2 the liquid from the can of garbanzos

Blend till smooth
Add:

3 Tablespoons Tahini
1/2 cup flat parsley
Zest and Juice of 1 Large Lemon
Pinch of Black Pepper
Couple pinches of Kosher Salt

Blend till like paste

1/3 cup olive oil

Blend till like mayonnaise

YUM!

brittone2
03-18-2006, 10:20 AM
I haven't tried this yet, but I've read that using peanut butter instead of tahini can give it a really good taste when you are making it at home. I've made it at home but I still haven't found a recipe that I like as much as store bought...I'll have to try some of these.

Radosti
03-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Hehe... Costco has the best hummus around. I only bought the hummus with roasted red peppers and halapenos, but it's soooo delish. It comes in big containers. But I scoop out half anf give it to my dad with a box of Triscuits. By the time I'm ready for another container, so is my dad :)

But it really is absolutely yummy. On par with the hummus we've been served in the best places in Israel.

jenjenfirenjen
03-18-2006, 02:26 PM
I've heard this before. I'll have to give it a try. Won't work for my supper club since the point is to cook it yourself but for when I'm craving it. Of course, people up here have told me that Costco also has great guacamole but I'm pretty skeptical. I'm from Texas...I don't know what people in Philly know about guac.

bostonsmama
03-18-2006, 09:31 PM
You're so right about the Costco hummus w/ peppers...it's totally delish! It's really spicy, but my hubby loves that about it. Even the plain hummus in the tall quart at Costco is pretty awesome...and I've had it homemade from an Arab-American friend (which frankly was a little more "gritty" and less smooth, but equally enjoyable).

Larissa

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.
~Elizabeth Stone