PDA

View Full Version : How do you get formula stains out?

Radosti
03-18-2006, 11:00 AM
We're exclusively nursing. However, my parents' friends' daughter formula fed. She gave me a big bag of baby boys' clothing from Italy and France that's just adorable. One outfit has white right in the neck area and the white part has formula stains. Is there a way to get them out without ruining the navy part?

icunurse
03-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Since the stain has been sitting so long, I'm not sure if one of the cleaners with enzyme action is going to do much. With nothing else to lose, you might want to try a bleach pen - great for getting into small areas that need cleaning and not bleaching into the colors.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

Radosti
03-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks... I'll pick one up.

Tondi G
03-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Oxiclean! Soak it in oxiclean and maybe take a soft toothbrush to the stained areas. Use HOT water!!! You may have to soak and treat a few times!

Good Luck

kellyotn
03-18-2006, 02:57 PM
I was gonna say OxyClean too. I got bags and bags of handmedowns, OxyClean worked absolute wonders on lots of misc. baby stains. The white onsies were pretty gross, but and OxyClean bath fixed 'em right up. (I really used the bathtub, there were so many clothes!)

I'd try hot, hot water and OxyClean in the sink for 1/2 hour. Rinse it out, then lay in a sunny patch to dry. Repeat soaking for longer if needed. I don't know why, but the sun really helps get things bright white.

Katigre
03-24-2006, 10:59 AM
I would try the sun--it's wonderful for removing stains and shouldn't bleach the navy too much.

tarabenet
03-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Just one little trick: any time you resort to chlorine bleach, once you have finished with the stain, be sure to rinse with vinegar. Bleach will continue to act on fabric even after a water rinse or a detergent cleaning, which is why those mysterious holes appear weeks later. Vinegar will stop that action -- any vinegar, but the really strong pickling type is handy for lots of cleaning, so I always keep it around. I've even started added vinegar to the rinse water after loads of white laundry that I bleach a bit -- seems to estend the life of all the stuff.