PDA

View Full Version : What is your usual wedding gift?

kelly ann
03-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Just like some of us have a "go to" baby gift, just wondering what you usually like to give as a wedding gift. I have to buy a gift and I cannot find the bridal registry anywhere...I have looked at about 20 registries so far.

Since I am not familiar with their decorating style, I need a gift that is appealing to many folks (besides cash).

Thanks!

dules
03-18-2006, 03:44 PM
My "go to" gift is a pair of Waterford toasting flutes. The couple can use them at their wedding and then in future at anniversaries and other special occasions.

A nice bottle of champagne is a great accompaniment if you want to spend a bit more.

Since they are just meant to be a pair, no need to worry about matching with other pieces.

Good luck!

Best,
Mary

lizajane
03-18-2006, 05:33 PM
part of my business is monogramming. so i give monogrammed towels. i prefer to get ones off their registry and them monogram in either a tone on tone color or white/cream. but friends have brought me neutral towels (usually white) to monogram as wedding gifts for folks who didn't have towels on their registry. khaki thread looks surprisingly nice on white towels.

since everyone uses towels and since towels always wear out eventually, i feel like it is always a good option. (i realize someone may have too many...)

Marisa6826
03-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Not that I go to that many weddings anymore, but something from Simon Pearce. Usually a glass bowl.

http://www.simonpearce.com/navSubDepartment.aspx?DeptName=DeptGlass&Name=SubBowls

-m

MelissaTC
03-18-2006, 05:50 PM
We always give cash. If the couple has an extensive registry or we can not attend, we send a gift card.

elliput
03-18-2006, 07:21 PM
I usually go with a glass or crystal vase. I have found this to be a good option as there are multiple price points to choose from and it is something that can be both pretty and useful. Even I am uncertain of their decorating style, I can usually discern from their personal style if the vase should be contemporary or traditional.

almostamom
03-18-2006, 08:30 PM
We usually give money. If there's not a registry available, I would go with a bown from Simon Pearce. Marisa6826 is the one who told me about them. It was a huge hit at a relative's wedding a few months ago.

~Linda~
DS 11/9/04

BaileyBea
03-18-2006, 09:24 PM
I usually send the Nambe Kissing Salt and Pepper Shakers. They are romantic, practical and they look nice on any table.

http://www.nambe.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ItemNumber=ID6086

mskitty
03-18-2006, 09:49 PM
My standard wedding gift is a couple of nice basic metal picture frames. Everyone always has some new pictures to display after a wedding :)

The wedding present we use the most but didn't register for is a little gas Coleman tailgate grill. It has gone to so many baseball games and campouts. I will probably buy this for a couple of my friends when they get hitched. Its so nice to have :)

MsKitty

SeekerMage
03-18-2006, 09:57 PM
I tend to do a gift basket of some sort. My usual one lately has been something pratical. I try and find out the colors to their kitchen, or just something nuetral and do coffee mugs, towels, potholders, and maybe some goodies like gormet cofee/tea etc. I put it all in a pretty basket and try it all up. Its nice to have a nice pretty set of mugs/tea cups etc and I know I can always use new kitchen towels. Im not one to really go with registries, but maybe something I know they would like (that will coordinate with the things they have atlease) :)

MelissaTC
03-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Those are really pretty!!!

Eloise36
03-19-2006, 05:55 AM
I like to give the bride and groom a set of champagne flutes or wine glasses, because it is something they can use during and hopefully after the wedding. I usually order them from Red Envelope or Tiffany.

ctmom
03-19-2006, 07:45 AM
if we don't give money, I ususally give a Lenox frame. Something like this.
http://www.lenox.com/cat/index.cfm?fuseaction=prod&pid=6743&kf=4&pgtrck=4

I've been known to go up to the Lenox outlet and buy bags full of frames for both weddings and christenings so I have them on hand when the event comes around...

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

mama2galpals
03-19-2006, 12:18 PM
vera wang has a nice home collection that you can see at www.verawang.com

rita
mommy to
olivia '97
stella '00
emma '03

the truth may hurt your feelings, but lies will break your heart.

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

crl
03-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Nambe. I pick a piece based on what I'm willing to spend under the circumstances.

kelly ann
03-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all of the great ideas. We went shopping this afternoon and I went with a combination of the suggestions. We bought a bowl, but it was made by Nambe. I just love their stuff. We actually received the kissing salt and pepper shakers for a wedding gift and never used them :o I am now inspired to dig them up (with some other wedding gifts) and put some of the nicer stuff to good use!