PDA

View Full Version : Hair salon that uses "natural" hair color...

TLC1994
03-19-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm in the Chicagoland area and would like to find a hair salon that would color hair using more "natural" hair dye, instead of the "traditional" color that has all the chemicals. I've read some articles that talk about how bad coloring your hair is, so I'm interested in finding a possibly safer way to go.

If a salon like this doesn't exists - has anyone tried (successfully or not) to use the hair dye that's at health food stores (i.e. Naturtint or Herbatint)? I've never colored my hair at home, so I'm really nervous about finding the right color - there are just too many horror stories out there!

Thanks for the help!

BaileyBea
03-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Have you tried an Aveda Salon. I found their dye products to have less chemicals and my eyes no longer sting when I have my hair colored. You can also try a salon that does a henna coloring.

You can look up the ingredients for their color on:

http://www.aveda.com

Queensgirl
03-20-2006, 12:42 PM
I was also going to recommend an Aveda salon. I've never personally tried them, but have heard good reviews. Are you coloring to cover gray, brighten hair or change color. If you want to change your base color then go to a salon. There are a lot of products out there now that aren't that harsh. You need to call a salon first & ask (many people have allergies & are still able to color). If you just want to cover gray, then the options @ the health food stores are good. My mom has used them & liked the results (she's almost all gray however). I recently used Natural Match by L'oreal (no ammonia) and am very pleased w/the results. I used it just to cover gray and I like the natural look it left. Go to their website to get more info & a coupon (it's about $11 a box- if you have long, thick hair you may need 2 boxes).
Also, try http://www.makeupalley.com/. They have a lot of reviews and info that can help. Love that site for anything beauty related.

-Karina