PDA

View Full Version : What's up with my irrational fear?

jenjenfirenjen
03-19-2006, 11:25 PM
OK, so lately I've been having the most ridiculous fear that someone is going to break into our house and take DS out of his crib while we're sleeping. Meanwhile, I live in a perfectly safe neighborhood and have no reason at all to be thinking these thoughts. I'm sure it's just the pregnancy but it's driving me crazy and keeping me up at night. It really sucks because DS's room is upstairs and at the complete opposite end of the house from our bedroom. I sleep with the monitor next to my bed and everytime he makes a noise, I start freaking out inside that someone is in the room with him. I can't even tell DH this...he will think I am completely bonkers. Am I losing my mind or what???

mamalia
03-20-2006, 02:38 AM
No you are not losing your mind! I run through "scenarios" of totally irrational scary things happening and what I would do to protect my DD. I think I read somewhere that it is just a mother's instincts kicked into overdrive. Tell DH, he might chuckle a little (mine usually does), and then you'll feel better because you'll realize JUST how irrational your fears are!

Malia

CiderLogan
03-20-2006, 07:05 AM
You are not irrational! I go through these same feelings a lot too. We recently got our home security system activated, and the thing I love most about it is that it will chime (even when disarmed) if any of the doors or windows open. It makes me feel so much better. Is that an option for you?

In any case, it's normal to worry (especially when pregnant!). But try to remember that the chance of something like that happening is SO SO small.

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another GIRL due 5/29/06!