PDA

View Full Version : Red circles under DD's eyes - food allergy??

EllasMum
03-20-2006, 01:32 AM
For about the past week or so, I have noticed sort of reddish bags or circles under DD's eyes that do not seem to coincide with fatigue. When she is tired she gets sort of purplish shadows under her eyes and it has been this way almost since she was born. This thing with the red shadows seems to have just recently developed. Her actual eyes are not bloodshot at all it is just the skin under her eyes. The weird part of it is that it only seems to happen in early afternoon. DD generally is up around 8am, has her breakfast (solids) around 9ish, down for a nap around 10am for an hour or so, then down for another nap around 1:30ish when she typically sleeps for about 45 minutes. She sleeps well and wakes on her own so I am guessing she is well rested - but still she gets these weird red shadows. She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. I looked it up and the only thing I could find was a possible food allergy - except that I haven't started any new food in the last week... Anybody seen this before? BTDT??

Hoping for some insight and trying not to worry. Thanks in advance,

Susan

proggoddess
03-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Could it be seasonal allergies? I'm not sure where you live, but possibly she could be allergic to some early tree pollen or something. In the summer, my DD gets terrible "allergy shiners" and she gets those creases under her eyes. Claritin (prescribed by her allergist) helps her feel much better. We also used a HEPA filter upstairs to keep the pollen and dust levels down.

DD never really got shiners from her food intolerances, but she's not really allergic to any food.

lisams
03-20-2006, 12:08 PM
That's what happens to DD - seasonal allergies give her red circles under her eyes.

kellyotn
03-20-2006, 01:25 PM
I JUST got back from the ped with my DD. She's had a very minor cold for a couple weeks (barely any symptoms, just a once or twice a day gaggy cough with junk in the throat only, not chest or nose). On Saturday in progressed to a bigger cough, so we went to the ped. She apparently has had an ear infection and her sinuses are draining into her throat. One thing the doc asked is if we'd noticed her if she'd had puffiness under her eyes and actually they are puffy. Just thought it was because she had a rough night last night, but I guess its related to the sinuses.

Something to think about if she starts coughing or complaing about her ears. My DD never did complain about her ears. Still says it doesn't hurt.