PDA

View Full Version : OT Secret Obsessions/Adictions

JBaxter
03-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Does anyone else have a secret addiction or obsession they don't
admit to?

I am addicted to the game Bejeweled.

I have been know to put in a Barney or Elmo DVD just so I can play for 30 min. My top score is over I million LOL.

Anyone else?

mudder17
03-20-2006, 08:46 AM
You'll have to share that game with me. I was playing DiamondQuest for the longest time. That and SuperTextTwist. I'll have these spurts where I'll play with them constantly, and then eventually I come to my senses. ;)

Let's see...SECRET Obsessions? I don't know about secret, but the things that can cause me to lose track of time these days are...

the boards, reading a good book (this has always been true for me--I get sucked into reading all night), and building a Lego model (I'm currently building a Ferrari, but have been good about not staying up all night to finish it).

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

bcky2
03-20-2006, 09:22 AM
well you know what mine is now that you got me hooked :)

Momof3Labs
03-20-2006, 09:34 AM
I've loved Tetris and Bejeweled in days past.

Nowadays, I love Sudoku - but prefer the paper and pencil form to anything electronic!

JBaxter
03-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Eileen
I actually bought the CD at Sam's club a while back but here is the yahoo version of it I thinks walmart also carries it.

http://games.yahoo.com/games/downloads/bj2.html

g-mama
03-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Honestly? This board. I spend way too much time here, reading much more than posting. I can't believe how much time I am here when I could be doing other things - whether it's housework, playing with my kids, talking with my dh, or something for myself, like scrapbooking which I used to love doing.

Dh and I just talked about this the other day because he really thinks I should cut back. The whole family will be together in the other room and I'm in the office at the computer. Not good. I may have to force myself to take a break for awhile just to get out of the habit.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

tarynsmum
03-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I have to say these posts are probably my worst addiction the past couple months. I cn't believe the time I put in reading posts. But I figure it's for my own good, since I'm learning about things I never would have known before.

You guys have taught me how to : be addicted to babywearing, cleaning with vinegar (although DH thinks I learned it from him), relax a enjoy my child (if I wasn't hear I would be reading all those books that I don't read), and, most recently, that the Liberty Bell was hidden (thanks for that trivia!)

Thanks, everyone!

bcky2
03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
yahoo is the most expensive way to go, believe me because of jeana i just compared prices about 2 weeks ago :)

hautemama15
03-20-2006, 12:50 PM
I am secretly addicted to Celebrity Baby Blog!! Don't know why, it just interests me!

kboyle
03-20-2006, 03:55 PM
these boards do take up alot of my *spare* time. ha, what spare time, luckily DH just got DS a new Thomas DVD thats 2 hrs long!!! so ds2 goes down for a nap, ds1 watches the movie after he eats (either breakfast or lunch) and i sit in front of the computer.

i got a cute & funny romance book from the vday swap and i'm lovin' the author....i think it's hilarious that i read romance now, especially since i'm a true crime/suspense/mystery reader :)

Jo..
03-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Reality TV! I’m way too smart to love these trashy shows as much as I do, but I just can't get enough of them!

I just love eavesdropping on people's lives, and the people who throw themselves into the media like that are usually kinda nuts so they're really interesting!

Bring it on: Survivor, Top Chef, Next Top Model, the more drama and catfights there are the better I like it!

No one knows about this except for my husband. I need therapy!

bcky2
03-20-2006, 04:41 PM
i am totally stuck on ghost hunters and i am so excited that it starts again next week. i am obsessive about seeing it and not missing a show. thankfully i have tivo this season ;)

The Review Mommy
03-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Well, it’s actually always something different, lol! For a while it was researching anything CPS. I took the class and now it's on to something else. KWIM? So I guess I’d have to say a thrust for knowledge. Researching and studying those things that interest me at the time and reading, reading, reading! ;)

If you asked me right now it would have to be cooking. I'm going to sign up for a cooking class at my local community college. Once a week from 3-5pm. I'm so exited to start-- some of my girl friends will even be joining me! :) It's the same price for a whole semester as it is for one class at Sur La Table. Plus-I’ll have my own work station! At Sur La Table it's basically demonstrations and taking notes. Not enough hands on for my taste.

For the long haul, it has been… these boards. There are just some things I don’t have in common with my friends and family. And that’s Baby Gear! They will never understand. So this board is in a way my best friend when it comes to that.

Here’s to the wonderful Guys and Gals on this board! :D
-Rebekah

tarynsmum
03-20-2006, 08:41 PM
OOOH! I didn't ven think of that! Yeah, I watch a lot of those too: Next Top Model, Project Runway, and now that it's over, Top Chef. I just started watching this show about cheerleaders on Lifetime. it kind of makes me want DD to be a cheerleader when she gets older, and at the same time forbid her.

bostonsmama
03-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Hi, my name is Larissa, and I'm secretly addicted to Solitaire on the PC. I actually play compulsively...once I clear out my last card I immediately hit escape and enter to deal again. I'll play 25-30 games in a row at night (many nights staying up from 10pm to 2am). My highest score has been about 765 (standard). It's funny b/c I don't think about it during the day, but when I turn in to go to bed, I pull up the covers, place the laptop on my lap, and silently click away for hours. Even after winning 10 games, i still can't stop. It's weird. I'm an ______--aholic in the making.

Oh, and I seriously can't go one day without checking these boards, although my addiction was stronger when I was pg and/or actually had a snowball's chance in h*ll of ttc naturally.

Larissa

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.
~Elizabeth Stone

kboyle
03-20-2006, 10:33 PM
oooh, that's how i am with Grey's Anatomy, like you we just got DVR thru our cable provider so I can record it!

kboyle
03-20-2006, 10:38 PM
OMG, I'm addicted to *researching* too! If there is something I'm interested in, read in magazine, heard on TV, I've GOT to research it...my friend always laughs at me because I know weird things about items that no one knows :)

Last week I went on this research spree on finding the *perfect* preschool for DS1 this coming fall. It kind of faded away since I have no idea what my work schedule may be...will I still be working a few hrs a week, will I be working 20 hrs, or will I be full time? I figured I'd just enroll him somewhere in the summer....so no more researching that, next!

Corie
03-26-2006, 03:48 PM
I saw this thread and thought to myself, "I don't think
I really have any secret addictions. I have addictions;
they just aren't a secret." (chocolate, donuts)

Then, just today, as I was leaving Barnes & Noble, I realized
that yes, I do have a secret addiction!!

I buy Martha Stewart Weddings magazine and InStyle Weddings magazine
every time a new issue comes out. (I really should just get
a subscription to them.)

A few months ago, my husband busted me with my magazines. He
laughed and said, "You do realize that you're already married, right?"

I laughed too and said, "Yes, I'm just getting ideas for next
marriage!" haha

I really would make an awesome wedding consultant! :)

ribbit1019
03-26-2006, 04:19 PM
You might think about it Corie. DS's Godmother (selected not "official" yet) actually does a wedding a month and loves it!
She was doing it even prior to her own wedding, last Oct.
I just wish she would stop referred people to bands and throw some business our way.... DH is a mobile DJ, lol.

Oh and I should confess something now....hmm well the boards are definitely top of the list.

OH! Here is one i hide from DH even.
I am secretly addicted to Carmel flavored Smucker's sundae topping. I always make sure I have a jar in the fridge and random times during the week I will take a spoonful and eat off the spoon. Very odd...but so yummy.

I bought bejeweled from Office Depot for $5 bucks a while ago. I had the free trial from Yahoo and used it up in as many days as trials they give you (10 I think?). I have yet to open the CD though, I am thinking maybe I shouldn't too addicting, I loved Tetris as a child and would spend hours paying it.

Fun thread!!

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy born 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and
Jarred born 3/8/06
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

babystuffbuff
03-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Showers. I take 2 per day, and sometimes 3 (the 2nd and 3rd are just 2-minute rinse-offs, though, no washing hair or anything). I find it very difficult to change my clothes or put my PJs on without washing up first. Don't know what I'm going to do when I have a baby.

DH knows about that, though, so I guess it's not secret. He doesn't know about the box of baby clothes on the top shelf of my closet, though (it's just a small box), or the P3 I just bought on eBay (in a somewhat larger box). In my own defense, the Peg was a steal, and no one I know would have bought it off my registry. Yeah, I still sound pathetic. :P

Sarah

Auntie to my seven munchkins

jerseygirl07067
03-27-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm late posting, but can I still play?

Mine is gross, so if you have a weak stomach, read no further....

I am one of those compulsive face pickers/squeezers. I love squeezing up all the gunk out of my pores/clogged areas on my face. Most people I know admit to doing this from time to time, but I must say I find it addicting. I can spend a few hours doing this, as usually 15 minutes has turned into almost 1-2 hours.

I can't believe I admitted this. Ugh..

Marcy

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
03-28-2006, 06:24 AM
OK Jersygirl, you made me want to come out with my gross, gross secret!
I have one nasty black whisker that grows in the middle of my chin. MY grandma had the same thing in the same spot. I am obsessive about plucking that whisker the minute it sprouts through the skin. Unfortunaely sometimes I have to do some major excavation work to get it which leaves a nasty red mark which is much more noticeable than 1/10000 inch of whisker would have been. Some people worry about who will take care of them when they are old but I worry about who will get that darn whisker for me when my eyes start to go.... seriously....

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

Jo..
03-28-2006, 07:55 AM
This post literally made me laugh out loud. I have the same darn whisker! http://www.babyzone.com/Features/Community/images/smiley36.gif
My MIL and I were talking about this one day when she had to go into the hospital (she has more than one whisker)!
We have a secret pact to take care of each other’s whisker(s) if one of us should ever become incapacitated.
I felt better after striking this deal!!!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
03-28-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm not alone. I'm not alone.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

ribbit1019
03-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Not alone at all....I have one too! lol

Mine grows out of a scar that I got when I was seven. I slipped and fell on the ice. Very strange that I have a whisker that grows there now. And you can still see the scar too 20 years later.

Love your arrangement with your MIL Jo!!

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy born 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and
Jarred born 3/8/06
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

kep
03-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Whoo hoo GhostHunters! We can't wait for the show tomorrow! We thought it was on last Wednesday, and were so disappointed. :)

Kelli
Mama to Luke