PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU ALL! Is it too late to switch OB practices at 28 weeks pregnant?

laurena
03-20-2006, 08:42 AM
I wanted to thank everyone again who gave me support and provided me with recommendations for new practices both on the board and through email. I may have found a midwife very close to me in my insurance plan. I spoke to her on the phone today and loved her within 60 seconds. Interestingly, she said she could tell from how comments were written in my chart that the current practice was "punishing" me for not having the AFP test (yes, I'm over 35 and am well aware of the risks of my and my DH's decision). So, I wasn't imagining my treatment.

I'm grateful that you all made me feel like I wasn't being crazy in my desire to change because I feel so much better right now. It's actually hard to explain how relieved I feel. Thank you.

I had to switch practices early on b/c of insurance and I could only find one practice that came recommended from friends that was on my new plan in my new town. The doctors seem fine (I've seen them 4x for 10 minutes each time, so who really knows). But, the nurses... well, if I were to go into detail, I'd get moved to another post. :) Suffice it to say they find something really minor to yell at me for during each visit. Ummm, I've been through this before and I'm perfectly healthy with no complications. Stop chastising me for stupid things! (OK, quick example, I'm not to pick up my 2 yo. EVER. Really? Sorry, honey, guess you'll have to climb into your crib by yourself. Can't do that? Bummer. Looks like the floor for you until daddy gets home. Give me a break!)

Anyway, I just do not want to deal with them now that my appt's are coming more frequently. Ideally, I'd find a midwife, but I hear that Illinois isn't a friendly state to midwives, so another Dr. is most likely my option.

Or, should I just stick it out, ignoring the nurses as much as possible, knowing that they will be nowhere near me when I go through labor and then I will see them at 6 weeks and then I can find another practice, or should I find one now?

If you've read this and made sense out of it, I sincerely thank you.

Lauren
DD 03/04
DS coming 06/06

Momof3Labs
03-20-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm in Illinois, and just delivered at a hospital with a midwife. It was one of the best decisions that we made - she was just wonderful through the pregnancy, birth and beyond. Midwives are hard to find in Illinois, but they are out there and worth seeking!

Another thing I'd mention is that we often pay attention to our dr choice but just accept whichever hospital they prefer (I pretty much did for DS1). I've found that it is worth spending some serious time investigating hospitals - DS2 was born at a pretty impressive place (IME) whereas DS1 was born at a "ritzy" hospital that was so baby and mama unfriendly. It made a world of difference in our experiences (along with switching from an OB with DS1 to a midwife with DS2).

Where in Illinois are you? You can e-mail me through the boards if you prefer. I'd send you to my midwife in a heartbeat, if it is remotely convenient for you!

DebbieJ
03-20-2006, 09:33 AM
It's never too late to switch OBs if you are unhappy with the standard of care and the way you are being treated there.

Have you tried talking to the nurse manager or the doctors about what has been going on?

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

brittone2
03-20-2006, 09:38 AM
It is definitely not too late to switch!!! Don't settle for a practice you aren't happy with...seriously. Feeling stressed about being picked on every time you have an appointment just isn't a good thing.

I switched from an OB/GYN to a midwifery practice when I was close to 18-20 weeks. They mentioned when I asked that they have women switch at 36, 37, 38 weeks or more sometimes.

Ditto to Lori's thoughts on checking out hospitals too. Part of the reason we switched is that our original OB practice delivered out of a hospital that didn't allow eating/drinking in labor, required an IV hep lock, and was just more intervention-happy. I drove 45 mins each way to the midwifery practice and delivered at a hospital 45-50 mins from my home, but it was well worth it to feel positive about my providers.

kozachka
03-20-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't remember how far along I was when I switched OBs late in my pregnancy. Since it was a month or more after the u/s during which we found out that we are having a boy, I had to be at least 26 weeks at the time. It was the best decision for us both based on the doctor and his staff and the hospital at which I delivered.

I say do whatever makes you happy but make sure the next practioner is the one you really like.

calebsmama03
03-20-2006, 10:40 AM
It's not too late!! I switched from an OB to my HBMW at 24 weeks. Best decision I've ever made!! If you're not happy with your OB you are not likely to have as positive a birth experience as you otherwise could so switch to someone you feel more comfortable with!
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

zoestargrove
03-20-2006, 10:45 AM
It's not too late. I definitely think you should find a practice you are completely satified with and whom you trust entirely.

good luck!

alexsmommy
03-20-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't know where you are in IL - but look at birthlink.com Even if you're not in the immediate Chicago area, they can probably help direct you to a midwifery practice near you. I think you should definately look for a practice that makes you comfortable.
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

laurena
03-20-2006, 11:22 AM
I sincerely thank you for your support! I thought maybe I was being petty & should stick it out, but being picked on is exactly how I feel and NOT how my old practice ever made me feel.

Great suggestions for checking out the hospitals. I adore my previous OB and he only delivered at Prentice so that was my only option and I didn't care as long as he was there. Out here in the Western Suburbs, I was just making sure the hospital was a Level 3 for neo-natal in case anything does go wrong. But, I guess there's more to it and if I'm going to switch, may as well know all my options.

Now, keep your fingers crossed I find something I like within my insurance plan.

Thanks!

Lauren
DD 03/04
DS coming 06/06

laurena
03-20-2006, 11:24 AM
I tried to email you through the boards, but it's not working for me. I'd love to have your recommendation for your midwife (and hospital) if she's anywhere near me. I live in Naperville.

Thank you!

Lauren
DD 03/04
DS coming 06/06

Momof3Labs
03-20-2006, 11:50 AM
I just sent you an e-mail through the boards.

jesseandgrace
03-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Lauren,

I switched at around 22 weeks after getting some unbelievably bad care, wrong, detrimental information from my first practice. The downside was that I didn't really feel all that connected to my new doc, even though he was really good, but I felt better about the quality of care I was getting. So, it is definitely never too late. It has been my experience that the nurses really make the visits good, so if they are the problem I would see that as a problem as well. I think I would sooner take a good but maybe not friendly doc rather than a nurse.

lizamann
03-20-2006, 12:19 PM
I switched around 28 weeks from ob to midwives, though the midwives were partnered with the same practice as the ob. Best decision I ever made! They were a magical bunch of women, seriously. The midwife who delivered us I had never even met before I hit transition, since she was a sub, but she somehow knew everything about me and my plan even though I had never written one, just discussed it with the other midwives! Every midwife in that practice (maybe 6 - 8?) knew me the first time they met me, from my name to my career to my husband's name to my (unwritten) birth plan. I asked them how the heck they knew all that, and they said they have regular meetings where they update each other, but it still amazes me. I really felt nurtured and taken care of.

They were at Illinois Masonic, which is probably too far for you. But if you'd consider Prentiss, then you should consider this one!

laurena
03-20-2006, 12:24 PM
I thought about talking to the one Dr I've seen 2x, but I hardly know her and these nurses are my only options there. Maybe if I had a relationship with the Dr... And, because I'm not invested in this practice, I thought I may as well consider changing.

hautemama15
03-20-2006, 12:49 PM
When I was PG with DS I switched at 7 months back to my old OB. I was led to believe I couldn't go to him anymore by my insurance and that was the wrong info! So, I switched back, no problems!!

DebbieJ
03-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Lauren,

There is a Homefirst office in Naperville. www.homefirst.com

They are focused on Homebirth, but also do hospital births. You might want to check them out.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

mommy_someday
03-20-2006, 03:14 PM
It's not too late to switch. I did it at 33 weeks because my original OB was unconventional (not in a good way!). I went into preterm labor the day I switched (EEK!) and almost got stuck with my original doc, but fortunately everything worked out. My replacement OB was amazing and I will continue to see her in the future.

It's scary, but I found it scarier to stay with an OB I didn't trust. GL/HTH!

m448
03-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Nope never too late. On my first birth board a chick fired her OB during LABOR.

Your nurses would be peeved to have seen me walk into their office around 35weeks pregnant carrying my 2 year old on my back in a mei tai. In act I'd do it just to spite them. ;)

Marielle

Ian - born 10/03
&
Ryan - born 01/06

laurena
03-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Oh, I don't know the acronym for laughing so hard tears were brought to my eyes. That's awesome. Both parts! :)

essnce629
03-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Unless you're in labor, it's never too late to switch ;). And even if you're in labor and you don't like how your providers are treating you, you can ask for someone else-- I would! I've heard many stories of women switching at 38+ weeks.

***Latia
Conner, my homebirthed water baby, 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

brittone2
03-22-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm so happy for you!!!!!!

IMO seeing a midwife is an entirely different experience than seeing an OB. (not that there aren't wonderful OBs as well). It seems like you've already picked up on some of that :) It tends to be a much more nurturing and supportive environment. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts after you have your first visit :) I hope you'll be thrilled w/ your new practitioner :) (and you deserve to be!!!!)

Wife_and_mommy
03-22-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm so glad you found a birth attendant that you feel comfortable with. Best wishes on your next delivery. :)

Elizabeth
mommy to DD('04) and DS('06)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]