PDA

View Full Version : Hair detangler for toddler with eczema?

proggoddess
03-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Hi, all,

With all the dry air, DD's hair is very staticky and tangled. I've tried the old Static Guard on the comb tip, but it's very temporary. I'm sure a hair conditioner/detangler would do the trick, but she is very sensitive to fragrances in soaps and shampoos. The only other idea I had was to cut her hair shorter, which I really would not like to do.

Anyone have tips for detangling hair? Any favorite hair care products which aren't scented? What about silicone serum - is it too heavy? DD's hair is fine and straight and hangs to her shoulder.

Thanks in advance!

trumansmom
03-20-2006, 09:15 AM
If you find any sort of conditioner that does not have fragance, just put a little bit in a squirt bottle and fill the rest up with water. It should do the trick.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

starrynight
03-20-2006, 09:21 AM
I like Jeanne's idea, I've done that before in a pinch when we were out of detangler. I just put some conditioner in a spray bottle with water.

Can you find a leave in conditioner spray that is fragrance free? Because her hair is so fine it's going to knot up often. My dd has the same problem and we use detangler and conditioner left in sometimes.

lisams
03-20-2006, 12:06 PM
I put a few squirts of California Baby sensitive/fragrance free conditioner in a spray bottle with water. Works pretty well!

proggoddess
03-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Well, I did a search online, and the only fragrance-free conditioner I could find (that is sold locally) was California Baby. But my supermarket didn't have it. I also found that Paul Mitchell's Lite Detangler spray is fragrance free. Luckily my Supercuts did have that one. Overstock.com also has 16 oz. bottles in a 3-pack for ~$25. Probably a lifetime supply for all family members! Way overkill for my trial run.

It seemed to make DD's hair smoother after her bath last night, but the real test will be today when she rolls around our bed and builds up static.

I will mention that the PM spray contains wheat, if that is a problem for anyone's child.

kellyotn
03-21-2006, 09:57 AM
>It seemed to make DD's hair smoother after her bath last
>night, but the real test will be today when she rolls around
>our bed and builds up static.

Can you try using a satin pillowcase too? My adult cousin always has used satin pillows or her hair would be really tangley. She has lots of very fine curly hair.

We don't use satin, but I know DD's hair gets way worse in our bed where we have flannel pillowcases vs. her plain cotton ones.

Just a thought!