PDA

View Full Version : Mamas who delivered at a hospital...

buddyleebaby
03-20-2006, 12:10 PM
...do you know if siblings were allowed in the delivery room?
Was it policy set by the hospital itself or your hcp?
TIA!

JBaxter
03-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Yes I had by older boys with us. I didnt ask about the policy I told my OB I was doing it and he responded that as long as they had their own support person he didnt care. They were 9 & 12 at the time and did GREAT. If we are lucky enought to get pregnant again they have both expressed that they would want to be there.

bcky2
03-20-2006, 12:12 PM
my hospital didnt allow siblings untill after i delivered the baby.

m448
03-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Ditto but mine was 2 years old. I didn't ask I told my MW and then had hubby care for the kiddo while the doula took care of me. Honestly what can they say to bringing a child in when everyone and their mother (literally) is allowed to bug the birthing woman in most cases.

Marielle

Ian - born 10/03
&
Ryan - born 01/06

MommyAllison
03-20-2006, 01:21 PM
My hospital allowed any age visitor, any time. They specified that siblings of any age were fine in the delivery room. I didn't ask my OB though, since we didn't have any siblings to worry about. :)

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png (http://lilypie.com)

murpheyblue
03-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Kids were permitted at our hospital as long as they had their own support person/supervisor.

jbowman
03-20-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't know if they are allowed or not. We made plans to have our nanny and friends care for Ellie during my labor/delivery with Alice. This worked out very well for us.

Momof3Labs
03-20-2006, 02:40 PM
DS1 would have been allowed, but our doula and midwife were both relieved to hear that we would leave him at home with Grandma - they felt it would be too much distraction for me, considering I had my heart set on a drug-free birth. I also think it would have been a long, boring afternoon for him!

kboyle
03-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I delivered at the Cleveland Clinic (here in OH) with DS1 & a branch of the CC with DS2...in able for another DC to be in the delivery room they had to take a sibling class (thru the hospitals birth classes) and I think they had to be over the age of 5, but I can't be positive on that one.

m448
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
I did 100% drug free too but I wouldn't have been able to concentrate with my very high needs child in a stranger's care (since we didn't have family nearby), thus the arrangment. Thankfully my doula and a homebirth midwife friend of mine checked me before leaving to make sure I was advanced enough and I arrived at around 9cm and only spent 2 hours at the hospital before delivering.

Marielle

Ian - born 10/03
&
Ryan - born 01/06

missym
03-20-2006, 06:26 PM
This was the policy at our hospital, too. Kids over 5 could take a special class to prepare them for the birth process. After my delivery experience with Becca (lots of screaming, completely crazy atmosphere), I don't think I'd consider having a sibling there even if she were old enough.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want a penpal for your BBB kiddo? Send an email to:
[email protected] **

lizajane
03-20-2006, 06:33 PM
oh my goodness, it would never even occur to me after the violent vomiting during my first labor...

hope it works out for you! there would be a lot of love in the room. :)

buddyleebaby
03-20-2006, 10:39 PM
oh my goodness, it would never even occur to me after the violent vomiting during my first labor...

LOL! I am not actually sure I would want to take my dd along. At 15 months I worry it would be scary for her since she would not understand what was happening. (Or she might sleep through the whole thing, who knows? )
I'm just thinking things through, I guess, and considering the options.

ribbit1019
03-21-2006, 02:48 AM
I considered it too. My mom was all set to watch her in the room for me too. Our hospital requires a sibling class as well, but it would have been lost on her.

I progressed into active labor and delivered while she was sleeping. I would have never considered waking her for the delivery.

I had some early contractions when she was awake and after she said "Sick?" with a worried look and patted my hand I knew I made the right decision to leave her at home. My delivery would have been too scary for her at 21 months.

Christy
Maddy born 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Jarred born 3/8/06
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

Frogs are lucky, they eat what bugs them.

dhano923
03-21-2006, 06:39 AM
My hospital has a "no children" policy for the actual delivery. Kids were allowed during labor and after the delivery, but not during. I think it's in case something goes wrong, they don't want kids to freak out because mom is in pain or yelling or whatever. My dad, brother and sister in law watched my 2 year old while I was in labor (my mom and hubby were with me) and then they brought DS to see me and the baby a couple hours after the birth.

Katigre
03-24-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't think my hospital allows children under age 12 in the delivery room, though they can come in and visit after birth.